Candied Salmon

Mason Dixon Bowhunta

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Wanted to try something different for the fish throwdown. Was originally planning on taking my kayak out on the Chesapeake and catching some rockfish (striped bass to the rest of the world) and cooking them over a campfire....but the weather has been non-stop rain here in Maryland so I went with something new to me....Candied Salmon. Basically slices of salmon that are smoked with a sweet, syrupy glaze.

Started by slicing up some salmon fillets into 1/4 inch slices:

picture.php

Marinated in a mixture of brown sugar, garlic, ginger, black pepper and cayenne:

picture.php

Let the fish soak for about 8 hours and then rinsed and allowed to dry in the fridge over night. Gave the salmon a light coating of evoo and did a "kinda" cold smoke at about 175* on the reverse flow. Basted every 30-45 minutes with a mixture of honey, bourbon, apple cider and black pepper that I had reduced down to a syrup:

picture.php

First time doing this so I wasn't sure how long to cook the fish. I think it is supposed to have a texture more similar to jerky, but I just cooked it until the salmon was cooked through:

picture.php

Turned out pretty tasty. The sweet, sticky glaze paired well with the saltiness of the fish. Scarfed down about a pound of it while cooking chili for dinner.

Thanks for looking!!

That looks like mission accomplished. I could see that as a snack or in a rice dish.

I made a batch of salmon candy for a friend's family, based only on a description of how it tasted to them: 'Sweet, a little peppery, dryer than most smoked salmon, but not as dry as jerky". I went heavier on the sugar in my dry cure, then used a layer of brown sugar and pepper for seasoning. I didn't really think of basting it, but I like the looks of the lacquered finish.

IY0Pbrf.jpg

Thirdeye your salmon looks killer. The recipe called for a dry brine like yours but I went with a liquid version instead. I think yours had more of the texture that I was looking for

Thirdeye your salmon looks killer. The recipe called for a dry brine like yours but I went with a liquid version instead. I think yours had more of the texture that I was looking for

Thanks for the kind words. It's the two-finger wide pieces that had the sweeter cure and seasoning (and I think one small fillet as well. The larger fillet in the photo was my standard peppered/garlic pepper salmon. Here it is ready for the smoker, you can see the difference in the amount of pepper. I think the other sweet fillet is on a lower shelf.

MOB1rFA.jpg

Back