MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:52 AM   #1
Petee_c
On the road to being a farker

Default Not using UDS - got rusty

I openned up my UDS this weekend to do some back ribs, and discovered the seasoning had flaked off the inside, and the inner walls were covered with rust.

I hadn't used the UDS since last fall.

For our family of 4, I find it just as easy to do indirect on our Weber 22" kettle. I usually do 1.5 racks of back ribs for our family, and that leaves us leftovers. I can squeeze 2 racks on the kettle without problems.

I find that the kettle is as fuel efficient for shorter cooks and maintains temps well.

I did do the cook on the weekend with rust in the barrel, and no adverse effects, other than possibly a boost in iron in our diet.

Not sure if it's worth my time to try to get rid of the rust. I've got a feeling it will just come back... I only need it 2-3x/yr.

I can fit 2 meatloafs on the kettle, or 2 5-7 lb butts on the kettle. I don't cook more than that....
Petee_c is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2018, 11:36 AM   #2
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

As a UDS owner, Penalty Box for three things: Not using it for everything, letting rust get in there, and not providing any pix of the cook.

But your sentence has been set aside, since you cooked on it anyway.

Seriously, it sounds like you aren't using a cover to keep the rain off.

I think you should clean it, re-season it, and cover it up. Take it out at least once a month. show it some love.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-30-2018, 11:42 AM   #3
Petee_c

thx.

You're right, I haven't been using a cover on it... I should add that to my list.

Looking at getting a new flap disk for the grinder and doing a quick clean up of it...

Not looking forward to crawling inside of there to get rid of the rust.... I'll probably set it on it's side on a couple of sawhorses and reach in as far as I can... Earplugs, glasses and dust mask.

I'm low on elbow grease ( bad back)

Old 05-30-2018, 01:55 PM   #4
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

Once you get it cleaned and re-seasoned maybe give the inside a light spray of vegetable oil when you know it's going to sit for awhile. Also if possible cover it but leave the lid cracked. If it's kept outside it could build up condensation in the drum which leads to rust. I would definitely clean it up and keep it though. Good luck.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2018, 03:41 PM   #5
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Im a UDS fan (maybe an understatement) but the kettle is a great cooker too!

Ive turned out some moist Q on the kettle, though I cook direct.

I say sell the UDS, keep the kettle, and enjoy.

btw, I built my uds to be 100% sealed when not in use so it wont get moisture in it. Mine lives happily outside year long.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:52 PM   #6
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

btw, here is my sealed UDS

Old 05-30-2018, 07:14 PM   #7
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have so much gunk built up on the inside of mine there's no chance it would rust.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-02-2018, 07:11 PM   #8
Petee_c

Did some rehab this weekend on my uds. Went easier than I thought.

I had a 80 grit flap disk for my grinder and did the outside with a wire cup. It still was a dirty job. Look at arm wear my glove ended.

Gave it 2 cans of rustoleum black paint. Hope it holds up better than the bbq paint I've used the last 2 times.

2 pork Butts tomorrow. Taking one for a potluck.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #9
Clay-b-que
is One Chatty Farker

Just spray oil on it and do 5 smokes on it and the rust will be covered. Never thought about cleaning mine. If it gets to that point I would build a new one.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-02-2018, 08:02 PM   #10
Petee_c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay-b-que View Post
Just spray oil on it and do 5 smokes on it and the rust will be covered. Never thought about cleaning mine. If it gets to that point I would build a new one.
Yeah, I did a good coat of canola oil spray on it yesterday after the treatment with the flap wheel...

Fresh coat of paint today.... Getting up at around 7 to get the Butts ready to go on... Hot and fast.

They are each 5.6lbs

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk