Kamado blew a bearing

ironbrew

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
As the title says. I was putting a new gasket in, and noticed the top wasn't staying up properly. As I've had issues with this since new, I didn't think about it much.

Decided to adjust it, only to find there was a bearing in the lid spring mechanism that had snapped. I'm a millwright, so bearings are no big deal to me. Too late in the day to get the new ones though. Anybody looking to duplicate on a spring loaded lid... be aware of the spring tension. It is potentially very dangerous.

Please note though. I am NOT slagging the manufacturer. I decided to get bearings myself and put them in, I have not approached the manufacturer.

As the title says. I was putting a new gasket in, and noticed the top wasn't staying up properly. As I've had issues with this since new, I didn't think about it much.

Decided to adjust it, only to find there was a bearing in the lid spring mechanism that had snapped. I'm a millwright, so bearings are no big deal to me. Too late in the day to get the new ones though. Anybody looking to duplicate on a spring loaded lid... be aware of the spring tension. It is potentially very dangerous.

Please note though. I am NOT slagging the manufacturer. I decided to get bearings myself and put them in, I have not approached the manufacturer.
Just curious why you wouldn't contact the manufacturer? Out of warranty period? Or just such a cheap and easy fix for you it wasn't worth it?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The real reason? I don’t want to wait for parts.

And I suspect it would be a total replace without a different brand of bearing. These do not have a brand name, so good bearings will go in.

I let a Ford mechanic change my F150's fule filter. He did the job but broke the clip that holds the line to the filter. 500.00 for a new fuel line SO HE ZIP TIED IT IN PLACE!!!

U want a job done right do it yourself!

Apparently ss6301zz bearings are hard to find up here. And expensive. Ordered from California. I wish US businesses would use USPS more. UPS etc hammer us with brokerage. I’m thinking this is where a lot of Canucks turn to Chinese orders. If I wasn’t dead set on name brand, I’d have done the Chinese thing just for shipping/brokerage. Anyone doing business with Canucks take note!!!

Back