What do I need to know about Grill Grates?

qposner

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Decided to cook marinated chicken breasts and thighs in the gasser instead of using the PBC since I just replaced my grates with Grill Grates and want to try them out. Anything I need to know about gas setting, grate temp, etc that differs from the original grates? I know these things run hotter so I assume I should dial down the gas setting from medium/high to medium. Tips are appreciated. Thanks!

Recently bought some too. They were great on the first cook but MSD says they are a bioch to clean.

We used ours on a pellet pooper so no help on a gasser.

I hear the mill is closing - Hope it does not affect you.

Recently bought some too. They were great on the first cook but MSD says they are a bioch to clean.

Not impacting me, but is impacting plenty of folks. Times are a changing. Camas has changed considerably. I’ve been here since 2003. Born and raised in Bellevue. Thankfully it’s nothing like Bellevue is now. Reminds me of Bellevue when I was a kid a little. But with a small downtown that I love. Everyone who has a little money in this neck of the woods wants to move to Camas it seems.

I haven't had the love affair with Grill Grates that many experience. Perhaps my expectations were too high due to the hype. I have had plenty of flare-ups and sticking. Have made some adjustments with the company's input, but the grates are not fool proof. They take plenty of learning and getting used to.

Not impacting me, but is impacting plenty of folks. Times are a changing. Camas has changed considerably. I’ve been here since 2003. Born and raised in Bellevue. Thankfully it’s nothing like Bellevue is now. Reminds me of Bellevue when I was a kid a little. But with a small downtown that I love. Everyone who has a little money in this neck of the woods wants to move to Camas it seems.

I have been around a few paper mills but was shocked that city hall was right across the street from the mill.

I hated cleaning mine at first. After you get a good seasoning on them, they get much easier. Also, the grate tool is not just a funny looking spatula, it is also a scraper. I did not realize that, until someone pointed it out to me.

I was also underwhelmed by grill grates. Leave them dirty until next cook, wait til they warm up, and they wipe clean much easier. Our silverware handles are square, and fit the grooves perfectly....works better for me than the rounded fingers on their spatula/tool. Have used the oven on clean cycle a couple times turn the crud to ash. So far the best use I've found for them.. A crude heat baffle.

Have a 5 year old set, don’t experience any flair-ups using either side up, distributes heat evenly, cleanup is simple- stick them in the dishwasher......

I've had mine two years and love them. I grilled two pork chops last night @350* for 16 min. They were wonderful and tender LG EGG

I like to turn the flat side up and cook burgers. Gets an awesome sear on the burger!

I have two sets and have had zero issues with sticking, but I'm almost always cooking over high heat. I did spray them down with Pam and season before using for the first time.

Cleaning is kind of a pain, although I have never tried putting them in the dishwasher. They sell a multi-level brush on their website and Amazon that I just ordered, you dip it in water before brushing and it gets good reviews. I've also seen people brushing with heavy duty steel wool scour pads. https://www.amazon.com/Commercial-G...-1&keywords=grillgrate+commercial+grade+brush

On my PK Grill I tied my grill grates to the stainless grate that came with the grill with wire (Thanks to Kosmos Q for that tip!), so I can brush really hard, and pick up as one piece if I want to add wood chunks.

He founded Microsoft.

1060985.gif

I have two sets and have had zero issues with sticking, but I'm almost always cooking over high heat. I did spray them down with Pam and season before using for the first time.

Cleaning is kind of a pain, although I have never tried putting them in the dishwasher. They sell a multi-level brush on their website and Amazon that I just ordered, you dip it in water before brushing and it gets good reviews. I've also seen people brushing with heavy duty steel wool scour pads. https://www.amazon.com/Commercial-G...-1&keywords=grillgrate+commercial+grade+brush

On my PK Grill I tied my grill grates to the stainless grate that came with the grill with wire (Thanks to Kosmos Q for that tip!), so I can brush really hard, and pick up as one piece if I want to add wood chunks.

I have good luck cleaning stuff with powdered brewers wash (PBW). Get a tub and let it soak overnight.

Ive had mine for a year, once they're seasoned i just heat on high and wipe with a damp paper towel. also could wipe a paper towel soaked with oil to season again. i also used a brush with that green or black scotch brite glued to it.

I actualy use them more flipped over...using the flat side to either sear a sous/vide steak...on make smash burgers

Back