Sams Choice vs Kingsford

Q Harley

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Now that I have my WSM, and am thinking about fabricating a UDS, I will be using more charcoal.

I did a search on this and found some info, but not what I was looking for.

How does Sams Choice stack up compared to Kingsford. Our local Wally World has Sams on sale for 3.99 for a twenty pound bag. Kingsford runs from 9.00 for the new twin pack 15lb, to 13.99 for the new style brics in the 20 lb twin pack.

Anyone who wants to wade in on this, I will be grateful.

Thanks
Harry

Sam's choice sucks. Avoid it.

I use Sam's Choice all the time with good results.

i did the same thing
sams was an good burrning charcole but i found rocks in my pit after burning it and a lot of ash

the king was less ask same burn time no rocks ( i think they add the rocks to add weight so you get less charcol)

just my thoughts
york

I like lump. Very little ash. Cheaper. Burns hotter that kingsford.

I've tried Sam's in the past and did not get a hot fire from it. They had a different looking bag labeled Sam's Choice Proffesional quality last weekend. I tried that and it still sucked. In all fairness, the pallet was outside and looked like it had been outside all winter. I may try it again when they get a fresh pallet in. That may be awhile. Not to many charcoal users around here. I burn mostly wood in good weather. Charcoal when it's cold out and I want to stay inside and chase mama around the house. For charcoal it's back to K for now.

I'm waiting on Bifleg to give us a report on that Home Depot stuff.

I fired up 1/2 a chimney worth the other night and it did alright. Please note: I don't have anything to compare it to. To date I've done all my smoking in a GOSM. Cook a couple of pork chops the other night on a small charcoal grill and it did alright. Can't tell you how it would do on a long cook ... but I liked what I saw the other night. Not a lot of popping or fireworks!

How does Sams Choice stack up compared to Kingsford.

I have no idea regarding Sams Choice, but another extremely inexpensive "hardwood charcoal briquette" is produced by Ace Hardware.

My experience is that it flamed up right nice in the chimney, but while in the firebox the heat generated went right down along with the build up of an almost equal volume of ash that choked off the air flow through the firebox.

Bottom line results in my mind? You get whatcha pay for. That's my $.02 anyway . . .

i have tried the sams and the meijer brand and they both perform the same, lots of ash, one 20 lb bag as produced almost a full ash bucket full of ash, and thats allot of ash lol. i will try some kingsford next since it will be on sale 18 lb bag for 5.50 at a little local shop. if i can get a decent amount of hardwood i would like to make my own lump.

I don't mind briquettes, they don't pop as much as lump when using a weed burner to light them. I guess it is a lot less moisture in them. I had a B&B lump explode the other day and have a nice blister near the corner of my eye....ouch. I will try the Sams briquettes and see how they do for me. They always do have more ash. I have heard they have up to 70% filler in briquettes, It doesn't seem to lesson the flavor of the meat though. They don't burn as hot as lump, but sometimes that is preferrable. Plus all of that ash....Oh well ash is easily gotten rid of. It goes good in the garden.

Normally briquet ash is not good for the garden as it has chemicals in it that hold it together. You are correct when you talk about "pot ash" from lump wood or wood itself. That is really good for your garden....

I've been using Sam's Choice 60% Larger for a couple of years now and have done well with it. No more ash than Kingsford, no rocks for me, it's cheaper, and I can ALWAYS find it. Lump only comes from Royal Oak around here, and is usually $1 more for 10 pounds less compared to Sam's.

Back