Guru setup help

AKMIMNAK

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've just started becoming interested in temp control devices. I knew these things were gonna be expensive, but wow. I originally wanted a fire board controller with a guru pit bull fan. I was on the verge of forking out the over $300 but then I noticed I still needed another $89 cable. This is ridiculous and I refuse [take that, establishment!]. 😉

I'll use my meaters for meat temps.

What is a cheaper, ***temp control only*** setup that I can check on my phone, not just when I am at the smoker? I'm just looking for smoker temp control at this point. Forget the meat temps, I've got that covered with meater.

The higher prices are for the control/connectivity technology used in the design/manufacture of the device. As always convenience demands a higher price.

As long as the consumers pay the market price, the prices will hold steady.

If you wanted to give up the ability to watch the smoker temp from your phone, you could get a Pitmaster IQ120. I used an IQ110 for years on my WSM and it worked well. I used a wireless remote thermometer for meat/pit temps.

I still use an in 110. I am so used to my smoker and the iq that I no longer watch it lake a hawk. I set the temp and walk away like it’s and oven. I do have a friend who build their own controller using raspberry pi and some other boards. Got the plans off the internet and soldered it together himself.

The raspberry pi solution is called the HeaterMeter. You can buy a kit or now you can get one soldered up. You also should buy or build a damper/fan for it.

The HeaterMeter is the most capable controller available if you are technical enough to assemble and program it. The combination of a fan and a servo controlled air damper gives much tighter control, especially for efficient smokers like a Kamado or insulated cab. Using the R-pi, it graphs your cook on a webpage and you can also make configuration and settings changes through the web interface. If you configure port forwarding, it can be reached from any internet connected device (phone). It can send emails, texts, or push notifications for allarms. You can script it to do some pretty cool things like change the pit temperature when the meat hits certain targets.

The cost for all this capability is that it is not an open the box plug and play device. You need to do some work and you need at least a basic knowledge of Linux to get the most out of it.

https://store.heatermeter.com

Support forum and source for damper designs/kits or assembled dampers.

https://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?85-HeaterMeter-DIY-BBQ-Controller

you don't have a temp controller type of smoker.......unless you are still ordering a Humphrey(s)...........

you don't have a temp controller type of smoker.......unless you are still ordering a Humphrey(s)...........

I've run across multiple guys successfully running a temp controller with charcoal basket for long offset cooks. I'm certainly going to try it.

Back