MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:32 AM   #1
Smokey-T
Full Fledged Farker

Default In Search of the Illusive Picanha (in the US)

After watching several FANTASTIC videos on YouTube on the Brazilian cut of beef called Picanha, i find myself struggling to find it in Central PA. I have called four butchers with no success. Either not interested, or say it is same as Tri-tip (NOT), or saying they would need to order a case, which is like 80lbs.

I have used all the US terms I could find: rump cover, rump cap or coulotte, Sirloin cap, etc.

Anyone on the East Coast have any luck? Any recommended, reasonable online options? Is it really that good compared to ribeye, filet, etc?

Thoughts?

Guga Foods / Sous Vide Everything started this craze!!

Old 04-10-2018, 07:39 AM   #2
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

Someone's gotta be able to cut it for you, a butcher that breaks down whole cows should be able to do it no problem. I too had issues with the whole "same thing as tri tip" or "I don't know what that is" things but I finally found a local butcher that will cut them for me. Not only that, but their beef is all dry aged and the price I get it for is

Old 04-10-2018, 07:53 AM   #3
bri134
Knows what a fatty is.

They carry it in the RD in Capitol Heights MD - just bought a case this past weekend.

Not sure how far you're willing to travel though...
Jumbo Joe - Old Faithful
bri134 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2018, 07:55 AM   #4
Smokey-T
Full Fledged Farker

SudsandSwine - My challenge is I am in Central rural PA, not a larger metro area like Kansas City. I don't think we have any butchers that break down their own. Everything is cryo delivered. Probably closest I could come is a complete sirloin and cut it myself, but that is a lot of extra "other" meat.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:01 AM   #5
bri134
Knows what a fatty is.

Theres a RD in Harrisburg. They can def order it for you and its a lot closer than coming down to MD. If youre a KCBS member you get unlimited day passes to RD.
Jumbo Joe - Old Faithful
bri134 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2018, 08:10 AM   #6
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey-T View Post
SudsandSwine - My challenge is I am in Central rural PA, not a larger metro area like Kansas City. I don't think we have any butchers that break down their own. Everything is cryo delivered. Probably closest I could come is a complete sirloin and cut it myself, but that is a lot of extra "other" meat.
I kinda figured it'd work the opposite way....the rural butchers would do more in-house and have less packaged options, whereas the large cities have Sysco trucks everywhere delivering packaged food. Keep trying, I'm sure you'll find it.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:26 AM   #7
Smokey-T
Full Fledged Farker

Unfortunately the large slaughter houses have driven out all the small local shops.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #8
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

Any Brazilian market, I am lucky and be at one or three in ten minutes.

UDS now resurrected, Square Chicken Cooker, Green 22" Kettle, Stok Tower Grill & Barrel Grill, Stealth WSM 18", Char Broil Kamander
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #9
dgaddis1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
I kinda figured it'd work the opposite way....the rural butchers would do more in-house and have less packaged options, whereas the large cities have Sysco trucks everywhere delivering packaged food. Keep trying, I'm sure you'll find it.
Nope, most medium/small towns don't have real butchers any more. It's an artisanal thing now....

We have a place called The Butcher Shop and I'm 99% sure they don't even do any whole-animal butchering.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #10
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Print out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picanh...uts_Brazil.svg and take it to your butcher.
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640
Kingsford SteakAger Master 15 Unit

-NCGrimbo

Last edited by NCGrimbo; 04-10-2018 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: Image wouldn't show, sqitched to URL instead.
NCGrimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-10-2018, 11:57 AM   #11
jakel
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Some info here:

https://barbecuebible.com/2016/08/09...icanha-part-1/

He suggested
“Whole Foods market usually has untrimmed top sirloin in stock.” But other than that or Amazon at $25.00 lb I’ve

https://www.amazon.com/USDA-Choice-B...ywords=Picanha

https://www.amazon.com/Choice-Picanh...ywords=Picanha

Cheers,
John

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." R.Reagan

Last edited by jakel; 04-10-2018 at 12:58 PM..
jakel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2018, 12:19 PM   #12
Huskres
Full Fledged Farker

By the rump cap or sirloin cap and cut it yourself. Hell I've seen Aldo have the sirloin cap for 3.99lb.
Huskres is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #13
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm lucky enough to have a South American market nearby and I can get picanha easily. They get theirs from IBP. It seems that the ones that are under 2.5# cook up the best and are more tender, whether you cook them whole or cut up and put on the rotissirie - don't get me wrong though - the bigger ones are very good as well. One thing I can pretty much guarantee - once you find some and cook it up, you'll be glad you did. Picanha has been a big favorite around casa de gtr for a while - esp. on a nice baguette with chimichurri. Probablly my favorite cut of beef these days.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #14
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGrimbo View Post
Print out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picanh...uts_Brazil.svg and take it to your butcher.
The cut most American butchers will probably know is "NAMP 184D", if they don't know it by the other handful of commonly known names...NAMP standing for "National Association of Meat Purveyors". Giving this code was what finally got me through to someone, guessing they had a chart to refer to.

http://www.beeffoodservice.com/recipecut.aspx?id=200

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #15
-Chris-
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
The cut most American butchers will probably know is "NAMP 184D", if they don't know it by the other handful of commonly known names...NAMP standing for "National Association of Meat Purveyors". Giving this code was what finally got me through to someone, guessing they had a chart to refer to.
Isn't the problem that the US butchering standard cuts the Picana into two different cuts of meat? I know I saw it at Whole Foods last week.

Chris