Yoder YS640 vs Blazin Gridiron

tomharr51

I've been researching pellet grills/smokers and have decided between either a Yoder YS640 Comp or Blazin Gridiron with the upgrades. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom

Wife and I have had a Yoder YS640 since February 2012 and are very happy with it, no regrets. Often this model is referred to as built like a tank, it is. Made in the USA, 10 gauge steel cook chamber

December 2017 we got a Blaz’n Grid Iron for its ability to cook low ‘n slow 4 grates of ribs for cook offs over the Yoder’s 2 grates, very impressed with the quality of the build. In comparison to the YS640 it has a larger cook chamber and hopper, center mounted burn pot is easily removable for dumping the burn pot but the grates and heat deflector still need to be removed to clean ash in the lower cook chamber. The pro rack system has well over double the square inch grate space than the Yoder with the second shelf option. So far happy with purchase. Made in the USA, 16 gauge steel cook chamber with strategically placed double wall construction.

In my opinion the sear kit in the Blaz’n is a disappointment and does not grill or sear with direct heat. We did not purchase it for the feature and will never try it as have plenty of grills for that. Yoder on the other hand has a very descent searing set up, just my opinion for direct grilling and searing.

I own a YS640 Comp and live w/in 80 miles of Blazin'.

I think cooker for cooker they are both built like tanks. You will have similar results on both and expect similar support if needed.

The "big diff" on what you asked in your question is that the Yoder is on a competition cart. You can pretty much run that thing over grass or compact gravel. The Blazin will let you down on that one.

I will say, though... That the Blazin' has a very easy clean out. The Yoder will take 10 minutes at least because you have to take out the racks and deflector. For what it's worth .... that doesn't bother me.

You've basically narrowed your search down to a Ford or Chevy. Nice job!

Wife and I have had a Yoder YS640 since February 2012 and are very happy with it, no regrets. Often this model is referred to as built like a tank, it is. Made in the USA, 10 gauge steel cook chamber

December 2017 we got a Blaz’n Grid Iron for its ability to cook low ‘n slow 4 grates of ribs for cook offs over the Yoder’s 2 grates, very impressed with the quality of the build. In comparison to the YS640 it has a larger cook chamber and hopper, center mounted burn pot is easily removable for dumping the burn pot but the grates and heat deflector still need to be removed to clean ash in the lower cook chamber. The pro rack system has well over double the square inch grate space than the Yoder with the second shelf option. So far happy with purchase. Made in the USA, 16 gauge steel cook chamber with strategically placed double wall construction.

In my opinion the sear kit in the Blaz’n is a disappointment and does not grill or sear with direct heat. We did not purchase it for the feature and will never try it as have plenty of grills for that. Yoder on the other hand has a very descent searing set up, just my opinion for direct grilling and searing.

Please dismiss my earlier post. This guy owns both! Listen to him before me!

At this price point, if you did not examine Pitts and Spitts you should. Otherwise all evidence points to both smokers being excellent. If you favor the ability to sear, the Yoder beats the Blazn with its trap door in the drip pan that gives you direct access to the flame. If you favor flexibility and capacity, the pro shelf system on the Blazn is very nice. The Yoder will burn more pellets. Subjectively the Yoder will put out more smoke but the flavor off most pellets grills is going to be a clean mild smoke flavor. Pick the grill whose features you like the most. The build quality of either is excellent. I've seen both in person.

I can't say anything about the Blazin, but I Love my Yoder. I doubt you can go wrong with either.

I agree on the Yoder. I have the YS640 Comp and really like it. The searing ability is great and very simple if you get the 2-piece diffuser plate. With that said, you will never get the smoke profile of a stick burner, but it's a clean lighter smoke flavor that many people enjoy. I find it to be a very versatile cooker worth owning.

I had the exact same debate. Things I liked and didn’t like about each one. Ended up with the Yoder and am happy with that decision. The only thing I regret and would do over is get the comp cart.

I own a YS640 Comp and live w/in 80 miles of Blazin'.

I think cooker for cooker they are both built like tanks. You will have similar results on both and expect similar support if needed.

The "big diff" on what you asked in your question is that the Yoder is on a competition cart. You can pretty much run that thing over grass or compact gravel. The Blazin will let you down on that one.

I will say, though... That the Blazin' has a very easy clean out. The Yoder will take 10 minutes at least because you have to take out the racks and deflector. For what it's worth .... that doesn't bother me.

You've basically narrowed your search down to a Ford or Chevy. Nice job!

Thank you for the information. I did notice that the blazin does have the option for bigger tires but I do like the comp cart of the Yoder.

Thank you for the in depth information. The grill will be used almost exclusively for smoking. Like you I have other grills I'd use for searing. It's such a tough decision. I really like the features of both. I also like the idea of adding the extra racks to the blazin. In the end something keeps drawing me back to the Yoder on the comp cart.

At this price point, if you did not examine Pitts and Spitts you should. Otherwise all evidence points to both smokers being excellent. If you favor the ability to sear, the Yoder beats the Blazn with its trap door in the drip pan that gives you direct access to the flame. If you favor flexibility and capacity, the pro shelf system on the Blazn is very nice. The Yoder will burn more pellets. Subjectively the Yoder will put out more smoke but the flavor off most pellets grills is going to be a clean mild smoke flavor. Pick the grill whose features you like the most. The build quality of either is excellent. I've seen both in person.

Thanks I'm going to check out the Pitts and Spitts offering.

Thank you for the information. I did notice that the blazin does have the option for bigger tires but I do like the comp cart of the Yoder.

The Yoder has an option of larger-than-standard wheels on the comp cart. I believe them to be 10' dia., and wider. We got ours with them and they do work quite well.

The thing I like about the Yoder is the heat (and smoke) source is off to one side, like a stick burner. The Blazin' heat source is in the middle. I've never understood why a lot of the pellet cookers do that, seems like it gives you a hot spot right over your food and you lose that great convection heat flow across the rack.

Thank you for the in depth information. The grill will be used almost exclusively for smoking. Like you I have other grills I'd use for searing. It's such a tough decision. I really like the features of both. I also like the idea of adding the extra racks to the blazin. In the end something keeps drawing me back to the Yoder on the comp cart.

I have a comp cart for our Yoder, I just need to sand and repaint the cook chamber as it has faded over the years before I put it on the comp cart... just seems silly to put a faded out Yoder on a new comp cart!

The thing I like about the Yoder is the heat (and smoke) source is off to one side, like a stick burner. The Blazin' heat source is in the middle. I've never understood why a lot of the pellet cookers do that, seems like it gives you a hot spot right over your food and you lose that great convection heat flow across the rack.

I agree the Yoder is a great pellet smoker; I almost bought one late last year. But IMHO I prefer the burnpot in the middle, as I believe in a pellet smoker it actually provides more constant temperature throughout the cook chamber. The difference is pellet smokers have a radiant steel plate between the burnpot and the meat rack. That plate evens out the heat. In contrast, I would think placing the burnpot at one end would be more likely to create a temp gradient from one end to the other.

I bought a Mak 1-star over the Yoder mainly because (1) I prefer the Mak controller with integrated temp probe for programmed cooks, and (2) I believe the smaller volume cooking chamber creates a smokier environment to maximize the pellet smoke. But I'm quite sure I would have loved the Yoder had I gone that direction.

I agree the Yoder is a great pellet smoker; I almost bought one late last year. But IMHO I prefer the burnpot in the middle, as I believe in a pellet smoker it actually provides more constant temperature throughout the cook chamber. The difference is pellet smokers have a radiant steel plate between the burnpot and the meat rack. That plate evens out the heat. In contrast, I would think placing the burnpot at one end would be more likely to create a temp gradient from one end to the other.

I bought a Mak 1-star over the Yoder mainly because (1) I prefer the Mak controller with integrated temp probe for programmed cooks, and (2) I believe the smaller volume cooking chamber creates a smokier environment to maximize the pellet smoke. But I'm quite sure I would have loved the Yoder had I gone that direction.

I can't imagine any cooker, being any more even than the yoder. It provides extremely even heat from side to side, and between top and bottom shelf.

One of the best kept secrets in pellet grills is Smokin Brothers, USA made and the Premier line comes with the Savannah Stoker controller already installed!!!

Thought I should share an update of an option that will be offered on Yoder YS480, YS640 and YS1500 models. In a few weeks they will have available a Yoder YS640 SS Additional Grate System that slides in above the base grate and in between the rails for the second grate, with three grates in the frame of it.

In our YS640 this brought our square inches of grate space with two grates to four grates from 1070 sq. in. to 1723 sq. in. (my measurements and numbers, not Yoder's) (Measuring grate edge to grate edge). I was quoted $329 for this additional grate system that is constructed of heavy 304 stainless steel.

For my wife and I, our YS640 already having the second grate and now having this Additional Grate System we will be using the interior of the YS640 cook chamber to the full extent of its abilities. Ribs and jerky capacity we are thinking will be close to double of what we were doing previously!

Grate depth’s are 8 ½”, 14 ½” and 17 ½”
Grate width is 26 ¾”
2 3/4' clearance from base grate to lower grate and 2 1/2" clearance between grates above in the frame of the system.

-----

-----

Back