MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #1
Blue Kettle
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : TK
Default Camp Chef Smokepro XT - Disappointed

I recently bought a new Camp Chef Smokepro XT pellet grill. From Camp Chef's site this was supposed to be functionally the same grill as the more expensive Smokepro DLX (just missing a side table and the pellet dump).

So far I've been pretty disappointed in it. Chief complaints

1) Wide temp. swings by 40+ degrees at times (especially if also using a smoke tube in there, apparently it puts off more heat than expected but the PID controller should be able to account for that I thought). How can I set it and forget it if the sunuvabich is going to do that?

2) Smoke flavor is lacking despite spewing out a ridiculous amount of smoke from the gap around the lid and up the smokestack. Seriously, I was afraid the neighbor was going to call the fire dept. But flavor wise its feels more like you've dusted the meat with smoke than the meat has actually taken on a smoky flavor.

Of less concern but still disappointing is how long it takes to warm up. I had hoped I could use this every night but with how long it takes to get going the gas grill plus a smoke tube combination is way faster and similar in terms of smoke flavor.

Anyway, I just wanted to warn anyone else who is thinking of taking the pellet plunge looking for convenience. Its not all sunshine and rainbows.

(Wish I'd spent the money on a 22.5" WSM or even a Performer).
Blue Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 03-16-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
Huskres
Full Fledged Farker

What Pellets are you using? How many smokes have you done?
Huskres is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2018, 05:21 PM   #3
mrp116
Knows what a fatty is.

I just received the Camp Chef SmokePro DLX, and I have cooked on it four times. My temp swings are not that severe, but they are a lot more than my WSM. However, from doing a lot of research about pellet grills, I expected that. I also expected a much lighter smoke profile than using the WSM. I did an overnight brisket on "High Smoke", and it ran between 212 and 230 consistently. The bark was not as firm as I get on the WSM, and the smoke taste was much lighter, but there was a nice pink ring on it. My other three cooks were wings and burgers cooked at higher temps.

I did not buy the cooker to necessarily be my "smoker". My cooker (I do not refer to the CC DLX as my smoker) goes through the eight minute start up process, ends up right around 190, and climbs from there. It took an additional 5-7 minutes to get to 375 last night in windy conditions and outside temps around 40. I bought it for the versatility that it offers, and it fits in nicely between my Performer and WSM. If I was looking for a dedicated smoker, and I could only have one, I would pick the WSM everyday. Looks like you were looking for a smoker and ended up with a cooker that can impart some smoke flavor.
mrp116 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2018, 06:11 PM   #4
Shagbark
On the road to being a farker

I don’t have a Camp Chef and don’t pretend to know anything about them. I do have three different makes of smokers and for me there was a learning curve with each one and yes it got frustrating at times.

The most important thing I learned was not all pellets are created equal. Some makes provide a very mellow or hardly noticeable smoke flavor while others are a little more bold.

After trying Traeger, Lumber Jack and BBQr’s Delight pellets the latter provided the best smoke flavor. I prefer hickory in the hopper and cherry or apple in the smoke tube.

I hope you get things worked out and start turning out some outstanding que.
Shagbark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #5
MountainMan
Full Fledged Farker

Sorry to hear that.
But compare the cost with some of the better pellet grills.

It's the same old story, "You get what you pay for".
MountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #6
Blue Kettle
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : TK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskres View Post
What Pellets are you using? How many smokes have you done?
Pit Boss from wal-mart. I'm almost out of them and won't be using them again. They're hard to get burning even in the smoke tube with a blow torch (whereas the Amazn brand worked great) so I am wondering if that will help both problems.

I've done 4 smokes on it. One was actually just cooking a pizza.
Blue Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2018, 07:14 PM   #7
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

for what its worth, my FEC100 has 40 degree swings... if set for 275, pellets start feeding at 255-260 and it overshoots to 285-290 before setting in.. Then it waits to drop to -20 from set temp to start feeding again.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2018, 10:18 PM   #8
jsperk
Babbling Farker

I have a camp chef and mine runs pretty good temp.

I am using pit boss comp blend, they are mild. I did try B&B hickory and they gave me nice smoke. I will pick up another bag of those. Last cook I put some cherry chunks on the steel plate above the fire pot.

Also call camp chef for support. They are very helpful.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:54 AM   #9
Huskres
Full Fledged Farker

I see you're in oklahoma. Do you have an Atwood's close by? They sell lumberjack for a reasonable price.
Huskres is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #10
nmeyer414
is One Chatty Farker

academy sports sells B&B pellets. I have NEVER had a bad bag of B&B

Old 03-17-2018, 01:46 PM   #11
airedale
is one Smokin' Farker

IMO people are too concerned about temp swings, egged on by people who sell controllers.

Sure, at some point the temp swings will affect the food but think about this: Only the surface and near-surface of the food even knows about temp swings. If the meat takes hours to get up to temperature, you can be sure that swings in the mean time are not going to have any affect. At the surface, maybe an excessively high swing might contribute slightly to drying out the meat, but low swings aren't going to have any effect at all. A bigger problem is if the average temp is not where you want it. IMO this is the thing to watch a lot more closely than temporary excursions.

I have a CC DLX and couldn't even tell you exactly what the swings are. Probably +/- 30 or 40 from setpoint. I couldn't care less. It makes great food.

Meat is mostly water. If you want to see the effect of temp swings on food, put a bowl of water in the cooker with a temp prob held so it measures the center of the bowl of water Set your cooker to 225 and monitor. I'll bet you see no swings at all.
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #12
jstrand
Full Fledged Farker

I agree. I monitored my oven one day and that had plus or minus 25 degree swings. My Davy Crockett doesn't have very big swings but at the grate is about 20 degrees warmer than the setting, that's more important to know for me.

Just got done doing those crappy center cut beef ribs from Walmart. Never done beef ribs before so thought WTH. 6 hours later and several beers, it was 46 degrees with no wind so I sat on the deck, what little meat there is was tasty but won't waste my time with those again.
jstrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2018, 06:11 PM   #13
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Temp swings are normal in pellet smokers and won’t impact the cook. In fact the temp swings are necessary and intentional to produce more smoke flavor and decrease the likelihood of the fire going out mid cook.

As far as smoke flavor... it won’t be as strong as a charcoal or stick burner. However, it can still produce food that is as good tasting as a charcoal or stickburner. Smoke is only one component of the overall flavor.

I like to think of bbq as a seasoning blend. Let’s use taco seasoning as an example for instance. Some blends will have a lot of cumin in their seasoning blend and some will not. Same for bbq. Some bbq will have more smoke than others. Both taco seasoning blends and bbq will be good assuming the rest of the ingredients are balanced around the level of cumin and smoke flavor respectively.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:15 PM   #14
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

With that said, some people just need more smoke flavor. If that’s you then sell your pellet cooker. For me personally, I can appreciate the subtle smoke flavor.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:30 PM   #15
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

I have the Camp Chef Woodwind and the only thing I agree with is that is does throw plumes of smoke time to time, but I would imagine that all pellet grills do that if they drop a few to many pellets. I watched last weekend as I did a east Carolina Boston butt and the temp was right on the nose. I mean you open the lid and you will lose 40 degrees, but for the most part if I set it at 250 and it will be with in 1 to 5 degrees. Myself I have been doing like 70-30 mix of pellets. (70 Hickory and 30 Cherry) and I get a nice smoke ring and plenty of smoky flavor. I try to keep the grill out of the wind as I move the grill around according to where the wind is blowing. Behind the shed or in front of the garage and so on.... Personally for the extra money I would have gotten a Yoder, and plan on doing that really soon and I will use the Camp Chef for sides and for parties or quick burgers. Keep us updated on how it holds up.