Why is black pepper so spicy?

WareZdaBeef

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I love the taste of black pepper on just about everything. But for some reason, when its used as a rub on brisket and ribs, its really spicy.

I did a pastrami the other day following a pretty standard pastrami rub recipe from amazing ribs, and even after sliced thin and piled on some rye bread with some mustard, the pepper was so spicy nobody , including me could eat it. Am i buying the wrong coarse black pepper. I swear i can buy those throw away salt and pepper shakers and douse my food with that black pepper and have no issues with heat.

There are many, many different varieties of black pepper. Different types have different 'spice' levels. Freshness matters - freshness of the peppercorn, and freshness since it's been cracked. That's probably the biggest impact you would be seeing. The shaker cans or disposable pepper shakers you buy have been ground a while back, and have likely mellowed with age. Additionally, the size of grind/cracking can have a marked impact on perceived 'spiciness.'

... I swear i can buy those throw away salt and pepper shakers and douse my food with that black pepper and have no issues with heat.
Well, grasshopper, you have now learned about cheap and stale pepper. Go thou, buy only fresh peppercorns, and grind with restraint onto your foods until you learn the right amounts.

Penzey's (https://www.penzeys.com/) is a good place to read and get educated though I prefer to avoid buying from him because of his politics. His sister (https://www.thespicehouse.com/) is not wound quite as tightly AFIK. I have had good service from that company.

Well, grasshopper, you have now learned about cheap and stale pepper. Go thou, buy only fresh peppercorns, and grind with restraint onto your foods until you learn the right amounts.

Penzey's (https://www.penzeys.com/) is a good place to read and get educated though I prefer to avoid buying from him because of his politics. His sister (https://www.thespicehouse.com/) is not wound quite as tightly AFIK. I have had good service from that company.

I wouldn't say they are stale. They are sealed and do have good pepper flavor, just not spicy.

I'll admit, i am not a black pepper connoiseur, but i do enjoy the smell/flavor, just not the heat.

Fresh cracked black peppercorns are a whole world different than what you get from pre-cracked pepper in shakers or bottles. I have a hand-crank that I use and it takes me about 5-10 minutes to crack enough pepper for a full brisket, but it's definitely worth it as it really enhances the flavor. Fresh black pepper is certainly stronger in aroma and in heat, but I've never had it been so spicy that people can't eat it.

Can you post a pic of the bottle of black pepper that you're using?

Like some of the fine cooks have already stated, different regions have different varieties of black pepper...but the biggest factor is the size of the grind. The larger the size the less it's able to be cooked down.

Fresh cracked black peppercorns are a whole world different than what you get from pre-cracked pepper in shakers or bottles. I have a hand-crank that I use and it takes me about 5-10 minutes to crack enough pepper for a full brisket, but it's definitely worth it as it really enhances the flavor. Fresh black pepper is certainly stronger in aroma and in heat, but I've never had it been so spicy that people can't eat it.

Do you seperate the dust from the grind. I find coarse ground pepper to not have so much dust, the dust can overdo it as well as mess up bark. I like fresh cracked pepper to finish food but prepackaged butcher or restaurant grind for rubs.

Beef, maybe you familys palate is lighter. I know my houshold doesnt care for too much seasoning and i regularly cut back when first trying recipes.

8356433010425646783.jpg

7397778634479174981.jpg

...the size of grind/cracking can have a marked impact on perceived 'spiciness.'

...but the biggest factor is the size of the grind. The larger the size the less it's able to be cooked down.

Actually...the finer the grind, the more spicy it is. The more whole the peppercorn remains, the less percieveable spice there is. This is why you can eat au poivre without blowing your head off.

I looked up that manufacturer, Regal Spice, and everything seems good to go. There's nothing in there except black pepper... I was wondering if it was a mix of peppers just labeled black pepper but it certainly looks like it's just black pepper.

I wish I could help as this is quite strange. Sorry buddy.

I looked up that manufacturer, Regal Spice, and everything seems good to go. There's nothing in there except black pepper... I was wondering if it was a mix of peppers just labeled black pepper but it certainly looks like it's just black pepper.

I wish I could help as this is quite strange. Sorry buddy.

Everyones taste buds are different. Maybe mine are changing with age. If i have to, i'll start buying those shakers in bulk and dump them out and use that black pepper in my rubs.

Another brand i thought was too spicy was Tones Restaurant grind. I guess i need to source old black pepper. Maybe i'll hit up an outlet store, they usually sell old out of date spices...lol

I use a 2:1 ratio of Tones restaurant grind with salt when I do briskets and even my wife had no problems eating the bark on the brisket (she’s a spice lightweight).

Got a pic of your pastrami?

I use a 2:1 ratio of Tones restaurant grind with salt when I do briskets and even my wife had no problems eating the bark on the brisket (she’s a spice lightweight).

Got a pic of your pastrami?

This following amazing ribs rub recipe.

7236577430658438011.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Everyones taste buds are different. Maybe mine are changing with age. If i have to, i'll start buying those shakers in bulk and dump them out and use that black pepper in my rubs.

Another brand i thought was too spicy was Tones Restaurant grind. I guess i need to source old black pepper. Maybe i'll hit up an outlet store, they usually sell old out of date spices...lol
Oh, man. I hate to see you go down that path. Why not buy a few different small bottles of peppercorns and experiment? You'll definitely need to season with less pepper than you are used to using from the shakers, but I can't believe you won't like the flavor better. Start with a little bit and increase to taste. Maybe on a baked potato with butter; that should be a fairly neutral flavor behind the pepper.

Damn...that's a shame you can't eat that Pastrami....send it to me....I'll take care of it for ya...

:hungry::hungry:

If you seriously want it.....The dog wont even eat it....lol...j/k the dog would probably eat it, but its not good to give dogs some of the ingredients in the meat and rub like onion and garlic..ect..ect.

On a serious note, I am thinking of dumping it into the PC with some beef base broth for 30 min. It will be fall apart but most of the pepper will have fallen off, and im thinking corned beef hash for breakfast. It is a shame i have to go this route. When i buy pastrami from the deli, i don';t have this problem. In fact, i think the deli pastrami is under seasoned...

The good news is, fresh pepper is more predictably spicy, so crack your own and you will always know how much to use. You might like the blends of whole corns better too, more depth and less sharpness in many of those.

Last edited:
I’ve got to tell ya...I’ve never had any luck with the stuff on that site.
Meathead is the Dr.Phil/Oz of BBQ.
Good for the mainstream gas grillers, but lacking for the enthusiasts (IMHO)

Here is meatheads recipe

It’s majority black pepper

cb3d1a4c7709d43b0298a75379724a07.jpg

Here is what I use.

8e62f29919a32ea9fa3e9196ff936cbc.jpg

I’d suggest trying a new recipe for the rub.

If'n ya needs a lot of fresh ground pepper, go git yerself one of those electric coffee grinders (the one with the little whirring blades in it that looks like a blender). Pulse a small handful of peppercorns in that until they reach the size you want.

I’ve got to tell ya...I’ve never had any luck with the stuff on that site.
Meathead is the Dr.Phil/Oz of BBQ.
Good for the mainstream gas grillers, but lacking for the enthusiasts (IMHO)

Here is meatheads recipe

It’s majority black pepper

I’d suggest trying a new recipe for the rub.

I agree.....
Even some of his curing recipes are questionable according to weight calculations. In my personal opinion I think he is more interested in posting content rather than verifying proper ratios.

Back