Brisket with moist soft bark line Franklin Bbq

bbqpitsmoker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Watching a few videos of Franklin do brisket and the thing that I see most is how amazingly moist the outside of the brisket is both before and after the wrap in peach paper. I cook at around 250f to 275f on an offset and by the time i get to around 160f internal the brisket is quite crusty on the outside.

What is the secret to keeping it moist and pliable? Is it possible to keep the bark nice and moist even without wrapping?

Last edited:
If you start off at 350F and set a nice bark before 160F ish , then go low to like 175F (pit temp) and mist the brisket for a looonnnggg time, it will get nice and dark and soft, and will jiggle when you try to remove it.

TLDR; Brisket doesnt need to reach 200F+

2 things help Franklin's bark be moist.

1) the butcher paper makes the bark moist.
2) they spritzed regularly with a Worscestershire Sauce mix before wrapping, and again as they wrap.

And he starts with uber-prime beef

That has nothing to do with the bark.

I’ll added to BassGuy’s list...

3. Water pan in the smoker. He’s maintaining the temp and adding humidity.

If you can only do one, do the spritz. It’s a chore to spritz every 30 minuets in a 8-12 hour smoke but if you check out videos of his restaurant, he has guys working on briskets the entire day. Tipping, spritzing, wrapping, rotating... it’s all in the details.

Why would you want it moist? Most folks are trying to get it crusty! 😉

I think he wants it to get a really nice dark bark. But unless he sprays it every 15-30 minutes or wraps it after the bark has set, its not going to be very soft.

He probably just doesn't want it to be charcoal and break off when he tries to slice it.

Why would you want it moist? Most folks are trying to get it crusty! 😉

I know its personal preference but i say crusty bark is wrong. I want supple bark that is tender and pliable. The meat underneath will be moist and tender. The side effect of crusty bark is a less desirable interior

Try cooking fat side down before you wrap and wrap in bp fat side up. The juice in the BP will keep the bark soft. Vent fat side down to give the bark a little firmness but it won't be hard. Kind of the best of both worlds. Also keeps the flat a little juicier. Make sure bark is SET before wrapping or it will just be mush and come right off. This is what works for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Select is very lean. So lets assume the brisket has no fat. Less fat equals more bark. Am i doing this right?

The grade is based on the amount of marbling. The amount of fat left surrounding the brisket and the thickness of the fat cap is up to how aggressively you trim.

Back