Pastrami

scotts1919

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hello all. As st patricks day approaches i am beginning to think about my yearly pastrami cook. In years past i have bought corned beef and did a 24 water bath to get rid of the salt before i cook. I plan to do the same this year. I have a few questions below.

-for the 24 hour desalting process, i usually change water a few times. Has anybody gone more than 24 hours?
-im thinking of cooking the day before (Friday, then once cooked put in fridge and slice on meat slicer the next day) What temp should i cook too if im doing the mentioned process?
-what rub have people been happy with on the pastrami/corned beef?
-regarding reheating the next day once sliced, i plan to make reubens and in the past i have put the sliced meat in a steamer basket for a few minutes just to warm it up, any other ideas?

thanks

Hello all. As st patricks day approaches i am beginning to think about my yearly pastrami cook. In years past i have bought corned beef and did a 24 water bath to get rid of the salt before i cook. I plan to do the same this year. I have a few questions below.

-for the 24 hour desalting process, i usually change water a few times. Has anybody gone more than 24 hours?
-im thinking of cooking the day before (Friday, then once cooked put in fridge and slice on meat slicer the next day) What temp should i cook too if im doing the mentioned process?
-what rub have people been happy with on the pastrami/corned beef?
-regarding reheating the next day once sliced, i plan to make reubens and in the past i have put the sliced meat in a steamer basket for a few minutes just to warm it up, any other ideas?

thanks

It's too late for this year, but going forward I highly recommend buying flats and corning them yourself. Use Meatheads recipe on Amazing ribs, i've been doing it for 5 years and it's amazing. Aside from one year, the results can't be beat.

Given that you're buying pre-corned flats, almost assuredly low-quality selects pumped with salt, I would just throw the flats in a pot of water coev3ering by a few inches, and bring just under a boil and hold it for 15-20 mins. That will draw the salt out better than a 24 hour cold water bath. Then, go with the traditional coriander and pepper rub. Smoke it until you have sufficient smoke, the steam to order. Put it in a pan on a rack with some water underneath, cover with foil, and cook low and slow until it hits about 190 internal. Slice to order reubans, doesn't get any better.
But, there's more than 1 way to skin a cat, and it should turn out good either way you do it. Good Luck!

It's too late for this year, but going forward I highly recommend buying flats and corning them yourself. Use Meatheads recipe on Amazing ribs, i've been doing it for 5 years and it's amazing. Aside from one year, the results can't be beat.

Given that you're buying pre-corned flats, almost assuredly low-quality selects pumped with salt, I would just throw the flats in a pot of water coev3ering by a few inches, and bring just under a boil and hold it for 15-20 mins. That will draw the salt out better than a 24 hour cold water bath. Then, go with the traditional coriander and pepper rub. Smoke it until you have sufficient smoke, the steam to order. Put it in a pan on a rack with some water underneath, cover with foil, and cook low and slow until it hits about 190 internal. Slice to order reubans, doesn't get any better.
But, there's more than 1 way to skin a cat, and it should turn out good either way you do it. Good Luck!

I actually got some nice choice flats from costco, so i think im in better shape than the crappy select ones.

I actually got some nice choice flats from costco, so i think im in better shape than the crappy select ones.

Nice. I've seen those at Costco, I've always just got the naked flats though. Let me know how it turns out, might be worth me trying if it saves me time and makes little difference on end product.

I've got a bunch soaking right now. I do it easy peasy....soak 24 hours. Change water 3 times. Have a beer. Rub with black pepper and coriander. Have a beer. Right into the smoker. Have a beer. Cook like my briskets....300-ish with oak for smoke till they look purty. Have a beer. Wrap in BP and let ride till jiggly....foolproof...

Back