• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Another Occasional Brisket

robert-r

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
for no particular occasion except I'd been wanting to cook one for quite some time.

This was a high heat cook in the stick burner. Temps averaged 310*. Mesquite & red oak for fire & smoke.

The price per pound was very good as it had been trimmed. So I thought I'd give this one a try.

JvH0Z6Y.jpg

Injected with beef broth & gave it a heavy rub of Oakridge BBQ's "Black Ops" brisket rub. & stuck it with my brand new Meater.

A5kc31R.jpg

Technology is my friend. The Meater is a bluetooth device. It only has a range of 10 feet if it's inside a metal container (the cook chamber).
Using my wife's old phone, I can link it via wifi to my phone which gives me a 950 square foot range. Works great. Houses... walls... no problem.

Vsy8H3l.jpg

I still used the Smoke meat probe as a backup as this was the first use of the Meater. The flat at 145*.

SehIPT2.jpg

Removed the Smoke meat probe. 170* & wrapped.

h032jbG.jpg

Half-assed job of wrapping. Oh well...

uZG82TW.jpg

After 5 hours it probed tender at 209*. I pulled it, wrapped it in foil, then a blanket & put it in a cooler for 2 hours.

A few cuts...

lCIPcK1.jpg

lnAtLFV.jpg

So a few slices, mac and cheese & the world's best potato salad (wife's). Time To Eat!!!

X82zge8.jpg

I've never had much luck just cooking a flat, so this was a game changer for me.

The Meater is going to come in real handy for my rotisserie cooks. Goodbye Maverick Et-75.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what looks better dinner or breakfast, both look awesome.

Flats are a tough cook. Looks like you really nailed that one!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Flats are a tough cook. Looks like you really nailed that one!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks. I usually avoid them, but this one was CAB choice and needed no trimming. So I figured "What the hell?". Seems like injecting, high heat and wrapping did the trick.

Back