MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:11 AM   #1
wahoowad
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : PookieBoo
Default The Egg. The Egg. It's everywhere but here?

Now I am sure some of you have a BGE, or maybe a Kamodo, but feel like most of us are using other types of smokers for our barbecue. If so, why is the BGE seemingly everywhere I go that sells outdoor cooking units?

I had to spend a few days recently running around town to town caring for a parent. I grabbed a few moments for myself and ate at some different qqb restaurants, but also stopped into a few patio or woodstove shops that carry a little grilling/smoking stuff. Every dang one of them had several BGE's lined up, and then maybe some expensive gas grill I have never heard of.

Anyway, just curious your thoughts on the pervasiveness of the egg and it's lower profile in the smoking/barbecue forum?

Old 03-12-2018, 06:25 AM   #2
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

I believe there are a lot of people here who have had them They also have their own forum This place is not specific to the Egg It is extremely versatile-I can use it for cold smoking,smoke bacon or salmon at 150, Smoke pork or brisket all day and never need to add charcoal, sear steaks at really high heat or do a pizza. It is also rather expensive I got one for my 60th B Day from my wife I chose that over a party It is also small and will only hold so much A Lot of people here like to cook large amt of food, and allot like to use wood splits and/or pellets.. I love my Egg and for the most part I can do what I need to for my family
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-12-2018, 06:31 AM   #3
wahoowad
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : PookieBoo

Ahhh, yes, I can see how they have a limited grill surface to work with. Kind of like why I love my WSM but went am trying a pellet grill for more area.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:53 AM   #4
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Its marketed as cooker that will do it all so its an easier sell. The buyer only has to be sold on the price.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2018, 08:12 AM   #5
rob g
Full Fledged Farker

I've got the Kamado Joe Classic and I love it. It's very versatile, my butts and briskets are ALWAYS moist, it holds temperature like a champ even in the dead of winter in -30C. Could I use a larger cooker? Sometimes. I'm usually only cooking for the wife and I and it does everything we want. I don't compete and it would scare the hell out of me if I had to transport it around the country on a regular basis. I think the perception of it being fragile keeps it away from a lot of competitions and it's capacity.
rob g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2018, 08:23 AM   #6
tenpenny_05
Full Fledged Farker

I think a kamado style cooker would suit A LOT of the casual backyard cookers such as myself. I was 100% weber guy for a long long time. Kettles, gassers, WSM I've had almost everything weber has made at one point or another, including a ranch kettle I had for a week.
The kamado checks all the boxes of things you want in a cooker, plus they are freaking cool. Nobody cares to look at just another weber kettle, but a kamado/egg will create a crowd. That might seem superficial, but it adds a little excitement to the hobby.
I cook 4x more on my kamado than I ever did on my webers, there is no chore lighting charcoal and cleaning ash up and it makes great food every single time.
Just my 25 cents (2 cents adjusted for inflation)

Old 03-12-2018, 08:23 AM   #7
JVM59
Full Fledged Farker

Most of my cooks are just for my wife and I, so the LGE Egg works perfect.
Cooked a pizza for dinner Fri. night, wings on Sat., and steaks yesterday.
That being said, if I need more capacity for a larger group, I have the LSG Mini.
Best of both worlds!
JVM59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2018, 08:38 AM   #8
Free Mr. Tony
is One Chatty Farker

They obviously are good at distributing their product. It's a good product. I like mine. Most others that have them though that I know aren't really hard core BBQ guys like the people on this site. They may grill on the weekends, and do a smoke a few times a summer.

Most of us here move on the other things for various reasons. Size, mobility, something new, etc.
Free Mr. Tony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2018, 08:49 AM   #9
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

I have had my LBGE for about 8 years now. I use it to grill meats (wonderful for spatchcock chicken) and pizzas. Used it as a smoker for a long time but then got my LSG vertical offset. Personally, when smoking, I prefer the flavor of the stick burner vs the charcoal/wood chuck combination.

Great product and certainly a very useful part of my outdoor arsenal.
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #10
BillATL
Full Fledged Farker

The BGE guys have done a great job of marketing - and they have a good product besides. But whenever it comes up that I cook a lot of BBQ/Smoked food the first thing people who aren't hard core BBQers say next is - you must have a BGE. They look confused when I say I have another brand ceramic cooker and a bigger insulated vertical :-)

Ceramics really are very versatile and the learning curve to run them well - even for long cooks - is relatively small. I think people starting getting good food off of them and compared it to food cooked on some other cooker where the owner didn't know how to run it and a star was born. For instance, a neighbor brought some chicken to a party that he'd cooked on a borrowed Lang. It was coated in creosote that left my hands black - comparing that to some chicken off the BGE and the BGE seems like magic :-)
BillATL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #11
cjs27410
Knows what a fatty is.

I started out with a UDS in 2013. Purchased a Primo Oval 2015. I like to cook butts and ribs 6 or 7 times a year. UDS has better smoke flavor. Primo holds temps way better than the drum. Cooks limited to 3 butts, because of space. Primo very easy to use and produces great product from the start.
A stick burner is on my watch list. A Shirley was for sale in my area a few months ago but it was 60" - that's too large for me. A 48" cabinet model on trailer would be a great addition.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #12
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

As already stated, they have good marketing and promotion. The varied sizes suit many people. The comps that are brand specific give out the used cookers at a discounted price. I know a few owners of them. One owners hated his and prefered his electric smoker over the egg for smoking. One doesn't use it for anything but grilling. One uses it for everything but recommends other brands as better quality. Other than the price, komado cookers are very nice. I would consider buying one if I had $$$ and was looking to upgrade my grill.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #13
WeberWho
is one Smokin' Farker

I love my eggs. My wife and I bought our house 7 years ago and I've never once used our kitchen oven. I don't even know how to turn it on. I can get the BGE fired up to temp faster than I can my oven. The egg can be used for everything from a cake to a smaller whole pig. It's super versatile. The main reason why I bought my first BGE is the lifetime warranty on the ceramics. The BGE is expensive upfront but I could potentially have a grill for the next 60 years with minimum expense. So it's really not that bad in the hindsight. I believe it's one of the best overall grills in the market.
WeberWho is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-12-2018, 10:27 AM   #14
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

When I was in college I worked next to a BBQ store and often wander over there when it was slow. Making only $10/hr at the time (pretty good for college back in 2000) I could never imagine spending that much money on a small grill. I mean, I had a Chargriller Outlaw offset that I was kicking ass in (but not really) and I got that for $200!

Fast forward 18 years and I can afford it now. But I'm still a grill real estate whore and find I cannot put that much money on such small real estate. Also to mention I am a purist of sorts and won't eat smoked cup cakes.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #15
PnkPanther
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeberWho View Post
I love my eggs. My wife and I bought our house 7 years ago and I've never once used our kitchen oven. I don't even know how to turn it on. I can get the BGE fired up to temp faster than I can my oven. The egg can be used for everything from a cake to a smaller whole pig. It's super versatile. The main reason why I bought my first BGE is the lifetime warranty on the ceramics. The BGE is expensive upfront but I could potentially have a grill for the next 60 years with minimum expense. So it's really not that bad in the hindsight. I believe it's one of the best overall grills in the market.

You turn the dial to desired temp. If your front panel is digital, press bake and set to temp

Thanks from:--->