So what do you all use for Charcoal Chimney's?

allboy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Been using a Weber, or those cheap $10.00 hardware store ones all my life. A neighbor back in the 70's was using a modified large coffee can for a chimney. Not even sure if a charcoal chimney was a over the counter unit back then. Anyone have a good one this is worth the extra $$$$? Also, what do you use to ignite your coals? I used newspaper one time. It made a big mess, and ended up on my NY steak. Now I use Weber cubes, or a paper towel rolled up and dipped in vegi oil if I'm out of cubes.

I use a cheap charcoal chimney. As long as it holds some coal, it will work. I got really tired of newspaper wads going out, so now I use Weber cubes all the time.

Good luck and good smoking.

I just ran out of Weber cubes. Going to try the newspaper/veg oil. Hoping it works out. Time will tell. Gotta try something new I suppose.

I use 2, the Weber Compact and Weber Chimney, the Compact gets used probably 80% of the time.

Compact in action.

5jBEgTu.jpg

Sometimes I don't use one at all.

LlHqLR6.jpg

I just ran out of Weber cubes. Going to try the newspaper/veg oil. Hoping it works out. Time will tell. Gotta try something new I suppose.

Use a rolled up paper towel and vegi oil. Less ash.

What ever the cheapest chimney I can find is and light it with the weber cubes. I keep saying that I'm going to make one out of a heavy guage pipe if I can ever find the right pipe.

I use the Weber charcoal starter. I have both small and large and I start it with an old turkey fryer base. Works great. A few seconds and it’s lit.

Attachments

• 6EB41EC4-EC35-4F96-81B5-61651BFB86E6.jpg
    6EB41EC4-EC35-4F96-81B5-61651BFB86E6.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 477
Weber chimney and those tumble weed starter things.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Weber chimney. Light at home with the side burner on my gasser. When away from home I usually use the starter cubes.

I recently priced some steel pipe for that same purpose, just rechecked. The thinnest steel pipe 1/4 inch thick 6.5 diameter x 1ft(Weber is 7.5 x 12) is $40 and 15lbs. Thinner 304 stainless 7x12 10lbs starts at $100. Stove pipe seems like a more realistic option, 8x24 is $6...or a free folders can..I also wonder how small is too small. ...I usually only fill my full size Weber starter about 1/2 way since using charcoal basket(s)

anyone who uses the minion method and only needs 6 or so tried making a tiny one out of a large soup can?

Just earlier today I though of starting a poll..."how do you start your coals". A few new ways here I hadn't thought of. Gas grill, fryer, and weed burner.

I have an OLD Weber chimney. It's way too big to use to light 10 or 12 coals for a minion cook. I put one of the mini Weber chimneys in an Amazon Basket (why don't they sell these at HD or Lowes?).

Before I rang out, I remembered I had a big, empty #10 can (beans, tomatoes- I forget) that looked like a good size. I made a chimney out of it. Looked good, worked good. Held just the right amount of charcoal to get my drum cranked. My dad laughed and told me it would not last. I told him "10.00 is 10.00"

I use a Weber Chimney, and KBB briquettes. I use the Kingsford bag to light the chimney, that paper is perfect. I separate the three thick pieces that make up the bag and stuff the chimney, keep a piece of the outer "white" piece that is not quite so thick and roll it up, light that with a match, lean the chimney over a little and hold that lit piece under the chimney until the rest of the paper catches a little, then set the chimney down. I just keep the bags as I empty them to be ready for the next fire.

I have the smaller Weber chimney for Minion method cooks and the larger one for grilling. I use the free newspaper the USPS delivers for starting.

I've got one of the small weber chimneys - perfect size and well built.

For starters I use a trick I learned on this forum - I keep a pickle jar stuffed with cotton balls that are soaking in 91% alcohol. Burns really clean with no ash left behind. One cotton ball easily starts a chimney.

Back