Brisket & Burnt Ends

Nice looking cook. For a minute I thought you basted with the PBR.

I have never separated prior to cooking. Any advantages besides getting the point and flat to the exact internal temp you want on the smoker by treating them as 2 separate pieces of meat?

I have never separated prior to cooking. Any advantages besides getting the point and flat to the exact internal temp you want on the smoker by treating them as 2 separate pieces of meat?

You also get a good bark on both sides of the point so more bark on each burnt end. I generally don't separate before the cook just because I feel like I get a better product when I keep it all together. I will separate when the flat is finished and then re-season the area of the point that was attached to the flat. The flat gets wrapped for a LONG rest and the point cooks for a couple more hours until it's almost perfect. Then I'll cube it, dip it in sauce, and let it finish cooking.

You also get a good bark on both sides of the point so more bark on each burnt end. I generally don't separate before the cook just because I feel like I get a better product when I keep it all together. I will separate when the flat is finished and then re-season the area of the point that was attached to the flat. The flat gets wrapped for a LONG rest and the point cooks for a couple more hours until it's almost perfect. Then I'll cube it, dip it in sauce, and let it finish cooking.

This is what I love about bbq. There are so many ways to go about doing the same. It is truly an art form.

Been practicing hot n fast brisket, separating gets them to temp quicker. Some cook offs only allow 9 to 10 hours from start to turn in. This one was 5 hour cook time on the flat then rested 3 hours before slicing.

Back