Armenian Tonir BBQ

This video was posted here a while back - it's more like an Indian tandoori oven, and I really like this particular setup as it can also function as a grill as well.

At the very beginning of the video I see the PVC rack and think, is he going to grill using the PVC rack?...this is going to be an epic fail.

That's pretty cool. I was worried the food would slide off the skewers.
I noticed it looks like he left the sticker on that tomato closest to the grate handle.

Very interesting cooking method. He sure chucks a s**tload of wood in there!

A couple things I don't understand about this setup. First, the way he has to insert the skewers, it looks to me like he can't remove the first ones he put in the cooker -- in other words, the ones that have cooked longest, until he removes the last ones that have cooked the least. Second, given the coals are at the bottom, I would assume the meat on the bottom end of each skewer would cook faster and be more done than the meat on the top end?

Finally, based on my kebab experiences, no way I could keep the meat from sliding off into the fire!! I can barely keep mine on the skewer when they're horizontal!!

Has anyone actually used one of these who can maybe explain these points to me?

Thanks!

Back