MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:30 PM   #1
LloydQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Traeger at Home Depot

I was very surprised today at HD. I saw a couple of Traeger pellet grills. That is the 1st time I had seen one in person. The larger of the 2 was $800, the smaller was $500.

Not to be insulting to those that own them, but they sure looked flimsy to me, especially for that kind of money.
LloydQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-09-2018, 05:24 PM   #2
Blizzard
Full Fledged Farker

I agree on the perceived lack of quality. The metal seems pretty thin for the price.
Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2018, 05:31 PM   #3
CptKaos
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Larry

Most of their money is going into making info-mercials the rest goes to salaries and whats left buys more made in china cookers IMO

Larry

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-09-2018, 06:35 PM   #4
Free Mr. Tony
is One Chatty Farker

I don't necessarily have a problem with the way they are built, and they work great. With a computer controlled temperature it is not crucial to have thick metal to retain heat. You have a constant fuel source. I will say though that there are better pellet grills to be had for the same money.

The timberline's are definitely not like the rest of their line though. Those are pretty top notch as far as the build goes. Even with those though, probably better available grills at the same price point.
Free Mr. Tony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2018, 07:33 PM   #5
patrickd26
Full Fledged Farker

I literally just got home from putting one together for my father-in-law. It's heavy enough that it won't tip over in the wind I think. The hopper was very heavy and solid. Everything else was.... pretty flimsy. It'll be interesting to see how it does because he's planning to keep it outside with a cover. Ouch.
patrickd26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2018, 09:38 PM   #6
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

It will make great food

Old 03-09-2018, 09:43 PM   #7
Dweverett
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Mr. Tony View Post
I don't necessarily have a problem with the way they are built, and they work great. With a computer controlled temperature it is not crucial to have thick metal to retain heat. You have a constant fuel source. I will say though that there are better pellet grills to be had for the same money.

The timberline's are definitely not like the rest of their line though. Those are pretty top notch as far as the build goes. Even with those though, probably better available grills at the same price point.
Totally agree. You can get a similar grill for less or somewhat better construction for similar money but that said, they work well. The computerized design means that the thinner metal has limited impact on performance.

Gifted to various children — Kamado Joe Classic, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Genesis, Rectec 680
Dweverett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2018, 10:14 PM   #8
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I looked at Traeger's and heard enough stories about their augers that break. I saved my money and bought a MAK which is made in Oregon. Awesome cooker with even better Customer Service.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2018, 10:18 PM   #9
electron_si
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : N/A

They are pretty thin metal but I’ve yet to have a problem with mine. It doesn’t cost too much to run and I’m always happy with the food it turns out.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:37 PM   #10
mrp116
Knows what a fatty is.

People that run stick burners, haven't done the research and don't really understand pellet grills will think they are flimsy. The reality is that they are flimsy compared to quality stick burners. However, with their built-in electronics, they do not need to be as heavy and thick (solid) to put out a solid product. All cookers have their place, and pellet grills fill a niche in between a wood burner and a kettle.
mrp116 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2018, 11:54 PM   #11
wahoowad
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : PookieBoo

When I look at a Traeger I am always reminded of growing companies that start to squeeze every penny

Old 03-10-2018, 02:59 AM   #12
Shagbark
On the road to being a farker

Our local Ace Hardware stocks a good selection of Traegers and Green Eggs. Traeger seems to be flooding the market with their product. Just the other day I got a flyer from Cabela’s and they are now selling Traegers in addition to their current line of pellet grills.
Traeger grills do work well and turn out respectable Que.
Shagbark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2018, 07:29 AM   #13
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrp116 View Post
... However, with their built-in electronics, they do not need to be as heavy and thick (solid) to put out a solid product. .
All well and fine. But.

When those pesky N. Koreans set off that upper atmosphere high yield nuke (or we get a well aimed solar mass ejection) over North America and the resulting EMP you guys with the fancy electronics are going to be left in the dark. Those of us who have steadfastly refused to move past the 19th century will still be munching out, scarcely aware that any disturbance has occurred.

So, well, there's that.
bschoen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #14
jstrand
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
I looked at Traeger's and heard enough stories about their augers that break. I saved my money and bought a MAK which is made in Oregon. Awesome cooker with even better Customer Service.
Pretty tough to beat a MAK, or a Memphis when it comes to pellet grills.
jstrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2018, 03:10 PM   #15
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschoen View Post
All well and fine. But.

When those pesky N. Koreans set off that upper atmosphere high yield nuke (or we get a well aimed solar mass ejection) over North America and the resulting EMP you guys with the fancy electronics are going to be left in the dark. Those of us who have steadfastly refused to move past the 19th century will still be munching out, scarcely aware that any disturbance has occurred.

So, well, there's that.
Or have one each lol.