• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Local beef vs. Costco prime

wahoowad

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Curious if any of you prefer locally raised beef over buying prime cuts at somewhere like Costco? I once paid a hefty premium to buy some locally raised pork chops and have to say they were exceptionally tasty. But I’m frugal (i.e. cheap bastard) and have heartburn at the prospect of paying 3 or 4 times for local beef if I can get prime for substantially less.

But, once in awhile I can do it, especially if the flavor profile might actually produce something noticeably better.

So the question is if you notice a substantially improved flavor using local beef over non-local? For the sake of discussion i’m focused mostly on brisket and beef ribs.

Sadly, I find the Costco selection to be better than local butcher stuff. Especially beef. If it were close in price I'd buy more local but it isn't. Most just get it from large producers anymore anyway. Went to a local butcher and asked for tri-tip and watched them open an Excel package.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Here is my opinion/findings;
Local butcher shop sells choice/prime and dry aged. Most expensive. Great flavor. But the price. Special small occasion only.

Local Supermarket sells choice and prime cuts. Upper/Mid range price. Great flavor. Decent price for everyday meals when on sale and convenient because I can get everything else there in one shot.

Local Sam's Club sells choice and prime cuts. Best price. Great flavor. If doing a big meal for sure go here. Inconvenient because if I want veggies with my meat I am stuck buying a bag big enough for 4 meals.

I have to agree that I would much prefer to buy local but it's often not even close on price so I'm selective.

If I'm buying something that is going to be cooked for a long time I'll pick it up at Costco. If it's a quick cook, pork chops are one of the big ones for us, I'll buy a local cut and pay for the flavor.

Curious if any of you prefer locally raised beef over buying prime cuts at somewhere like Costco? I once paid a hefty premium to buy some locally raised pork chops and have to say they were exceptionally tasty. But I’m frugal (i.e. cheap bastard) and have heartburn at the prospect of paying 3 or 4 times for local beef if I can get prime for substantially less.

But, once in awhile I can do it, especially if the flavor profile might actually produce something noticeably better.

So the question is if you notice a substantially improved flavor using local beef over non-local? For the sake of discussion i’m focused mostly on brisket and beef ribs.

In regards to your experience with pork, are you sure that the "locally raised pork chops" you bought weren't a heritage breed, which you'd be comparing to maybe "commodity" pork that Costco or Sam's would carry? (My Sam's has started carrying heritage pork as an option for between $4 and $6/lb).

As far as brisket is concerned, aside from buying Wagyu from somewhere, the prime packers at Costco for ~$3/lb are the best deal going, both in price and quality.

Back