MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:29 AM   #1
HuskerMan
Full Fledged Farker

Default Building gravity feed smoker?

Contemplating this but have a few questions. How do they compare to a normal vertical smoker with firebox at bottom? Is it important that it’s insulated? If so how thick should the metal be? I have two sheets of 1/4” steel I was planning to use from. Anyone have good step by step pictures/plans? I have never used/seen a gravity feed smoker and most of the plans I have seen so far don’t have pictures because of photobuckets new rule.
HuskerMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #2
patrickd26
Full Fledged Farker

I'm in Fremont and had one built a couple of summers ago. I own several smokers and this is as close to set and forget as you can get. Especially, coupled with a fan control system. I think that it's very important to be insulated. Especially where we live. It keeps the fuel burn very efficient. I want to say the one I had built called for 16ga, but we ended up doing 12ga because of supply and easier to weld with. Next time that you are in the area let me know. I have the CAD drawings and everything. I handed it over to my plasma cutter guy and he made it. It's basically a stump's clone.

Let me know if you have any questions! I actually work in Wahoo!
patrickd26 is offline   Reply With Quote