THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sylntghost

is Blowin Smoke!
I've had some oak in the wood rack for about a year.. some of it has soft spots in the splits that are light in color.. would you still use it ? I've got a small hatchet to cut the bad spots out and get back to the hard wood.

Sounds like wood rot. I'd try to cut off the soft spots if it's not too much trouble because 1) those rotted areas are a sponge for water leading to a smoldering fire, and 2) if you manage to keep the wood dry long enough so the rotted areas are also dry, they'll burn quickly without giving you much heat.

Sounds like wood rot. I'd try to cut off the soft spots if it's not too much trouble because 1) those rotted areas are a sponge for water leading to a smoldering fire, and 2) if you manage to keep the wood dry long enough so the rotted areas are also dry, they'll burn quickly without giving you much heat.
Yea some areas are really soft. You can remove with your fingers .. I was able to cut it out and use it.. I'll just cut it out before I throw it on the fire.

Unless it is substantial I'd just burn it. That is from a guy that runs his cookers hot so that may help me keep from having any smoldering.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back