MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: LSG Mini or Ironside Slugger
LSG Mini 13 76.47%
Ironside Slugger 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2018, 02:02 PM   #1
ruger35
Knows what a fatty is.

Default LSG Mini compared to Ironside

To start off, I love this forum!

I am coming from a LSG 24x48 offset. Did my last cook on it Labor Day weekend for around 60 people, and just figured out I don't have the time to tend the fire. I was watching football, going down the water slide, and wearing the Thermoworks Smoke monitor around my neck running back and forth all day.

Looking at the LSG Mini, originally wanted the Assassin but finally figured out that I don't think I need a gravity feed especially if using a temp controller. Ran across Ironside the other day, and have only been able to find a few threads or comments about them. They seem like they are built really well, and although I am not sure how often I would use it the option to have an all wood fire is always nice. Are there any other options that would set these two apart? I know the racks are a little wider on the Ironside, but was looking at adding an extra rack to the Mini along with tie downs and stainless handles.

Another kicker is LSG is about 4-5 hours from me, so it's nothing for me to drive there and pick up the smoker and grab some Post Oak while I am in Texas. Help me solve this dilemma!
ruger35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2018, 02:25 PM   #2
KevinJ
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I think the Ironside is an awesome smoker but being able to drive and pickup the LSG and save on shipping makes this decision a no-brainer to me. They are both great and just speaking for myself would be more than happy with either.
Weber Go-Anywhere

All American Moinkballer
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-27-2018, 02:35 PM   #3
ruger35
Knows what a fatty is.

Looking at the Ironside again through their website, the gasket looks like it possibly would be a concern. I am probably wrong, but it appears to just be a felt type gasket. I would have to think LSG's oven style gasket would give a better seal and last longer.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:42 PM   #4
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Everything on the lsg has been well thought out and executed. I've had no issues with my felt gasket on my insulated cabinet in the 5 years I've had it though. Seems to me the wood burning option is the only thing keeping you from making a decision. That might be reason to lean towards Ironside.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Shirley 24x55 Straight Back Cabinet 4 Racks
T&K Smokers GF /Abe's 48" Entertainer / 22.5 OTG
28" BS / Custom 20x52 vertical / Jimmy with CB Roti
Red Box Smoker on custom cart

2018 Texas Fall Bash - Oct. 27th 2018 https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...19#post3972819
2018 Texas Fall Bash Sign Up https://goo.gl/L6rTyE
pjtexas1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2018, 03:10 PM   #5
ruger35
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Everything on the lsg has been well thought out and executed. I've had no issues with my felt gasket on my insulated cabinet in the 5 years I've had it though. Seems to me the wood burning option is the only thing keeping you from making a decision. That might be reason to lean towards Ironside.

LSG quality isn't questioned like you mentioned, have seen it first hand with my offset. Ironside is so new what has me wondering is lack of reviews so far, and down the road if something happens I feel as if LSG is established and will be here for a long time. Not saying Ironside won't, just they are just starting up.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:22 PM   #6
SmittyJonz

You should Probally get Both and do some side by side comparison cooks. Then Sell the Loser to Me at a Discount......

Old 01-27-2018, 07:29 PM   #7
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger35 View Post
LSG quality isn't questioned like you mentioned, have seen it first hand with my offset. Ironside is so new what has me wondering is lack of reviews so far, and down the road if something happens I feel as if LSG is established and will be here for a long time. Not saying Ironside won't, just they are just starting up.
You just resolved your own dilemma

Shirley 24x55 Straight Back Cabinet 4 Racks
T&K Smokers GF /Abe's 48" Entertainer / 22.5 OTG
28" BS / Custom 20x52 vertical / Jimmy with CB Roti
Red Box Smoker on custom cart

2018 Texas Fall Bash - Oct. 27th 2018 https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...19#post3972819
2018 Texas Fall Bash Sign Up https://goo.gl/L6rTyE
pjtexas1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2018, 07:43 PM   #8
ruger35
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
You just resolved your own dilemma

Touché haha

Thanks from:--->