MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #1
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default 2 Chuckies & Beef Round Tip Roast Getting Corned for Pastrami

Here's another thread of corning up some meat. Working on stocking up the freezer so I always have some type of corned meat on hand for smoking up . Took 4 butts out of the brine today and will be shifting in the beef today.

I've corned chuckies before and they make better pastrami for me than brisket (though brisket is still great) and are my new "go to". I haven't cooked a beef round in quite some time let along corning one . So we'll see what kind of pastrami it makes. Corn it and them smoke still to a medium-rare type temp and see what happens I guess .

Here's the butt stuff that finished today. Sealed up 3 for the freezer and left one in the fridge to possibly cook tomorrow. If not I'll seal it up too.

Kid picked up the roast. Wasn't going to get it but he flailed his arms in its general direction so I saw the roast and said why not?? It's almost 12 lbs so I will probably half it and toss it in

Chuckies about 6lbs total

New brine made up

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
JRDINCC
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Duke

Sounds tasty.
I'd like to try something like that. Same brine for pork & beef?
Care to share a recipe?
Thanks.
JRDINCC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDINCC View Post
Sounds tasty.
I'd like to try something like that. Same brine for pork & beef?
Care to share a recipe?
Thanks.
I use this and tweak it a little here and there
2C Sugar
3C Salt
3T Fennel
1T Allspice Berries
3T Garlic
1T Peppercorns
3T Sage
6 Bay Leaves
3T Celery Seed
3T Crushed Pepper
3 Gallon Water
3T Pink (Cure #1)

Old 01-20-2018, 04:14 PM   #4
Jason TQ

All into the bucket

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-20-2018, 08:05 PM   #5
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

I am looking forward to file on this. Your little human has good taste
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2018, 07:56 AM   #6
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ View Post
I am looking forward to file on this. Your little human has good taste
I'm really excited to see how the roast turns out. Even when smoked to medium rare a normal roast can be a little bland at times, which is why they make for good sandwiches with some sauce or other stuff. So maybe the corning will give it a new dynamic.

Should cook one next weekend when they are ready

Old 01-21-2018, 08:46 AM   #7
thirdeye

You should enjoy the pastramied round roast, the amount of fat is more subtle than in a corned brisket, but looking at this pastramied and chilled round you can still make out the veins. The good thing is even though a round roast is thicker than a brisket, my finishing times (pressure finish) are about the same because they are a little more tender to start with.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2018, 04:28 PM   #8
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
You should enjoy the pastramied round roast, the amount of fat is more subtle than in a corned brisket, but looking at this pastramied and chilled round you can still make out the veins. The good thing is even though a round roast is thicker than a brisket, my finishing times (pressure finish) are about the same because they are a little more tender to start with.

Thanks. So you still took this past a "Medium Rare" temp which is where a non corned version would typically be eaten at so it isn't dry and overdone? Maybe I'll give both temps a try for fun.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:48 PM   #9
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason TQ View Post
Thanks. So you still took this past a "Medium Rare" temp which is where a non corned version would typically be eaten at so it isn't dry and overdone? Maybe I'll give both temps a try for fun.
Oh yes. It was on the smoker until in the 150°'s, but I do a pressure finish. Because it's so much thicker than a corned brisket flat I'm guessing it did not get to as high of a temp when processing.... but I bet it saw 180°, where as a flat like this one saw 190° plus.

That said, I think that's a good experiment... trying different finish temps with the round. With a brisket, finishing is for tenderness, but a round is more tender to start with, and frankly I bet most most of the producers of corned beef use USDA select. Since you will have no shortage of pastrami, try a Reuben pizza with a white sauce, garlic and mustard as a topper.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2018, 05:17 PM   #10
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Oh yes. It was on the smoker until in the 150°'s, but I do a pressure finish. Because it's so much thicker than a corned brisket flat I'm guessing it did not get to as high of a temp when processing.... but I bet it saw 180°, where as a flat like this one saw 190° plus.

That said, I think that's a good experiment... trying different finish temps with the round. With a brisket, finishing is for tenderness, but a round is more tender to start with, and frankly I bet most most of the producers of corned beef use USDA select. Since you will have no shortage of pastrami, try a Reuben pizza with a white sauce, garlic and mustard as a topper.

Thanks.

Ya done lots of pastrami pizzas. They are amazing and a great way to us it. Haven't done a white sauce variation yet. My favorite might be pastrami, pickle and red onion and dip a little thousand island or mustard.