MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:23 PM   #1
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc
Default Updated - WickenYanks TanTanMen - w/Pr0N

This is an updated version of an earlier post. Hopefully, the images will work again, and I've made a couple of tweaks.

Wicken Yanks Tantan Ramen Noodles (2 large bowls)
Based on TanTanMen Ramen outside Gate 1, Kadena AB, Okinawa, Japan

For the Pork “Garnish:”
- 1/2 - 2/3lb ground pork (93% lean beef is OK in a pinch)
- 4 tsp Cooking Sake (or dry white wine)
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce (we like Tamari)
- 2-3 Chopped Spring Onions
- 1-3 tsp of Okinawan Chili Spice Mixture
- 2 cloves of Sliced Garlic (or 1 Tbsp minced garlic - as of late, I really like 2 Tbsp minced)
- 1-2 tsp Sesame Oil

For the Noodle Soup:
- 500ml Dashi (or Chicken Stock, if you can't get/make dashi)
- 4 Tbsp Tahini Sesame Paste
- 200g Ramen Noodles (NOT the freeze dried packets)

Total Soup Bowl Prep Wet Ingredients:
You'll want to split these between your two bowls:
- 2-4 tsp Sesame Oil (lately, I've been skipping this, as it's already added when cooking the garlic above)
- 4 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 4 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 4 tsp Layu Chili Oil

Prepare the Meat Garnish:

1. Place the ground meat in a skillet over medium heat, add the Cooking Sake and break up the meat so it gets coated in the sake as it cooks.

2. Once the meat is browned, add the Soy Sauce and cook a little longer until the meat is well coated and browned.

3. Remove the meat from the skillet and set aside - (Lately, I've been letting the pork get a little crunch in parts before I pull it from the heat)
4. Place the skillet back on the heat
5. Put in the Sliced Garlic (or minced garlic)
6. Pour over the Sesame Oil and stir

7. When the garlic has some color (but do NOT let it burn), split it into 2 portions and place one portion in each of the soup bowls

Prepare the Broth:
1. In a large saucepan, heat the Dashi (or stock) over medium-low heat

2. Add the Tahini and let the soup warm.

Stir regularly, but not continuously. Do NOT let it boil, lest you like the tahini to clump up on you - it's still tasty, but the consistency can be a little "strange"

Prepare the Ramen Noodles per the package direction & place in the bowls - (For those that are ready to eat, just place the noodles in the bowl) - Yes, I know that these aren't really ramen noodles, but they're what I can get... and they're pretty darned good.

Prepare the Soup Bowls: - Sometimes I put the broth/dashi in last (like today)

1. "Build" the dish with the ingredients listed above at the start.

2. Ladle the soup over the noodles
3. Add Okinawan Chili Spice Mix to taste - I usually do this before I add the broth - you do you.
(1 tsp = normal, 3 tsp = spicy)
4. Add meat garnish & sprinkle chopped Spring Onions

I like my ramen SPICY (so I go a little nuts on the ground chili and spices):

Give your bowl a good stir with your chopsticks to get all the spices and such combined. Make sure you have a cold beer and napkins handy. This is going to get messy.

Notes / Substitutions: If you can't find Tahini, we used to use about the same (or a little more) peanut butter in the soup.... but understand that your soup will have a slightly sweeter flavor (it's still really good in a pinch). Also, since my wife has to stay away from gluten, she makes her bowl with quinoa spaghetti or soba (buckwheat... completely gluten free).

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #2
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

Thank you very much Marc for the tutorial.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
noodles, Ramen, Soup, Spicy, TanTanMen