THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joshw

Babbling Farker
Had some butts thawed out for some breakfast sausage, and the temps bottomed out. 20 degrees with a -1 wind chill. The YS640 cowboyed up, and got the job done without a hiccup. Man I love that cooker.

picture.php

picture.php

Sometimes, thing just work out. I ended up with almost exactly 25lbs after I deboned it. Seasonings consist of:

6 tbsp salt
6 tbsp pepper
12 tbsp sage
6 tbsp thyme
2 tbsp rosemary
12 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp nutmeg
2 tbsp cayenne
2 tbsp red pepper
2 tbsp mustard seed
1 tsp ground cloves

picture.php

Ran it all through the burr grinder. Grated the nutmeg first.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

What do you think of my spatula? Can you believe this was suppose to be a gag gift? Joke is on them, I love it.
picture.php

picture.php

Thanks for looking, I hope you enjoyed!

That's a whole lot of sausage! Do you freeze it after you've smoked it?

I bake eggs in Texas muffin pans, then put them on English muffins, and flat breads with a sausage. Then wrap in sandwich paper, put in zip lock bags and freeze. Then I just sit a bag, in the fridge, at the start of the week, and pop a sandwich in the microwave each morning, for breakfast. Just like stopping at McDonalds, but tastes a whole lot better, at a 3rd the price.

I learn something new on this site weekly.
Can you freeze the egg a tad runny?

I haven't tried that. I normally give them a wiz in the blender, add some sautéed green onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Put a 1/4 cup in muffin pans and cook for about 30 min at 350.

I have baked eggs, with a runny yolk, but haven't tried freezing them. I think the yolk would probably dry out. You might try it. I save my over easy eggs for the weekend.

Last edited:
I haven't tried that. I normally give them a wiz in the blender, add some sautéed green onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Put a 1/4 cup in muffin pans and cook for about 30 min at 350.

I have baked eggs, with a runny yoke, but haven't tried freezing them. I think the yolk would probably dry out. You might try it. I save my over easy eggs for the weekend.

thanks mate

No problem, I hope you give it a shot. The Texas muffin pans, fit on an English muffin, better than regular muffin tins. I use silicone pans, makes getting them out a lot easier. You can also use egg rings, but as you can tell, from my sausage, I like bulk cooking, and I can cook 24 eggs at a time in the muffin pans.

I'll be giving it a shot. We just had our kitchenaid grinder attachment thingie arrive today, and I was looking into making bulk breakfast and italian sausage. We bought a pig early last year, and the breakfast sausage was super bland, so I have already been working on a sausage seasoning for us.

This looks like a neat way to put it all to use.

I'll be giving it a shot. We just had our kitchenaid grinder attachment thingie arrive today, and I was looking into making bulk breakfast and italian sausage. We bought a pig early last year, and the breakfast sausage was super bland, so I have already been working on a sausage seasoning for us.

This looks like a neat way to put it all to use.

I derived this recipe from Alton Brown. Just made a couple of small changes. It is definitely not bland, but it is not overly spicy("hot"). If I were making it just for me, I would add more heat, but I share with my sister, and she can't take the heat. This is a good compromise between the 2 of us, and it makes it easier, than doing to different batches.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/breakfast-sausage-recipe-2103185

Do you add the fat back to that? I didn't see it mentioned in your original post.

No, I prefer my breakfast sausage to be a little on the lean side. I just use the boston butt, and think it has plenty of fat for this recipe, even after reheating in the microwave. I weigh out 4 ounce patties. I cook at 250, until I get an internal of 160. Generally around 30 to 40 minutes. This gives you a 3 oz finished patty. The recipe I use, is exactly what I posted.

Last edited:
Sometimes, thing just work out. I ended up with almost exactly 25lbs after I deboned it. Seasonings consist of:

6 tbsp salt
6 tbsp pepper
12 tbsp sage
6 tbsp thyme
2 tbsp rosemary
12 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp nutmeg
2 tbsp cayenne
2 tbsp red pepper
2 tbsp mustard seed
1 tsp ground cloves

Josh,

I like the idea of making and freezing the breakfast sandwiches. For the seasoning recipe, did you just multiply Alton Brown's recipe up for the quantity of meat? Sounds like the makings for a great tasting sausage. I also like the spatula.

Thanks,

Robert

Last edited:
Back