MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
BearSmokeBBQ
Got Wood.

Default Need some guidance for chopped brisket...

family wants me to smoke a couple brisket for xmas dinner. Have done many briskets that Ive cooked with the intention of slicing which I prefer, and I have got them down, but the overwheling majority of the fam prefers chopped, so my question is should I cook the same? I smoke them @ about 275 on the LSG offet until i get the color im looking for, then wrap in BP until tender. Was thinking since I will be chopping up and holding in crock pot to keep warm throughout the evening, that I might switch to foil to retain more drippings to mix in and help keep the meat from drying out too much while sitting in crock pot. Anyways, Merry Christmas fellow brethren, any tips or advice on chopped brisket would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
BearSmokeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
rocky2298
Full Fledged Farker

Sounds like you have a good plan.. Could try one in BP and one in foil. Or even pan one of the briskets come wrapping time and that will get you plenty of juice if you need it. for pulled brisket i tend not to trim as aggressive and incorporate some of the good fat in to the pulled/chopped beef by really breaking it down in to a au jus of sorts with the hands.

Last edited by rocky2298; 12-22-2017 at 12:16 PM..
rocky2298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-22-2017, 12:12 PM   #3
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Go a hair longer than normal - slightly over cooked. It’ll crumble when sliced n chop Easy.

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-22-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I like cooking normally and then chopping. Mixing point with flat and the juices with some extra seasoning is great. A little thinned sauce with the au jus 50/50 is amazing.
3 Hunsaker Drums
Big Green Egg XL
Pitboss Copperhead 5
Pitboss Whiskey Still
Pitboss Tailgater
Jason TQ is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:37 PM   #5
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

With chopped brisket I like a little sauce too. I would foil, de-fat the jus, and thin out some sauce with some of that. It doesn't need to be too thick.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #6
BearSmokeBBQ
Got Wood.

all sound like some great tips, thanks to all! overcooking a touch and mixing some thinned sauce with the defatted au jus, sounds like a winner!!! Made me hungry just thinking about it!
BearSmokeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2017, 04:58 PM   #7
wahoowad
On the road to being a farker

With chopped brisket I always like a nice spread of horseradish sauce on my bun. MAN THAT IS SOME GOOD STUFF!
wahoowad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2017, 05:02 PM   #8
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason TQ View Post
I like cooking normally and then chopping. Mixing point with flat and the juices with some extra seasoning is great. A little thinned sauce with the au jus 50/50 is amazing.
This!!!
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2017, 07:49 PM   #9
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

If you like the way you cook briskets for sliced, I would cook it exactly the same way for chopped. Then you can slice it and anyone who wants sliced can have it and anyone who wants chopped, you can chop slices.

I totally agree with mixing point and flat. At a good Central Texas barbecue joint, if you order chopped, they'll ask you whether you want it lean, fatty, or mixed. Then they chop flat, point, or mixed accordingly. So if you really want to fancy it up for Christmas, you can slice the flat and point separately and chop it based on what each person wants. It would be more work, of course.
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2017, 07:52 PM   #10
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

Also, in true Texas style, that would assume no sauce, or each person adds their own.
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote