Sticky bark on brisket....what happened?

electron_si

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
N/A
I tried some new things on a packer I smoked yesterday. It came out pretty good, had a lot of flavor but the bark was sticky. It stuck to the butcher paper and it was hard to cut. The bark was really crunchy but tasted good.

I used butchers prime injection and dizzy pigs rub. I feel like maybe one of those has some sugar in it that turned hard.

Any ideas from guys that have used either. It was my first time for both

Cooked at 250 grate temp. Kicked it up to 275 the last 2 hours. It was the DP cow lick

Cow lick should not have caused it,I use it regularly.Temp seems legit.I am not familiar with that injection though.I cannot imagine that you could wrap it in butcher paper tightly enough to cause that.Not sure friend,unless braising in the butcher paper made some of the injection mix with the rub and cause it.

the fat side sticks to the BP be on occasion. Doesn't matter what rub I use. I'm cooking at 300.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sticky bark is definitely caused by the fat. If you do not want sticky bark, leave it fat cap up. That’s what I do. Got to protect that flavor.

I’ve cooked more than 10 prime packers from sams and haven’t had it happen before. Could it just be certain briskets that have “sticky fat”.

The bark also came out more tough than usual

It's not the injection. When I wrap in BP, the fat often sticks to the paper. I'm surprised the bark came out tough, usually BP prevents that.

Back