MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:04 AM   #1
Mikhail
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Mik
Default Opinions on vacuums for ashes?

Being sick to death of hand scooping out ashes from my PK, I'd like to get a good but not too pricey, not too big vacuum to clean it out. Cordless would be nice but somehow I question if they would be powerful enough. I'd love to be proven wrong, but here in my hallucination I was thinking a small shop vac?

Anyone have one they love?

PK Classic Grill
Broil King Signet 320 Propane
Good One Open Range over & under
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2017, 07:57 AM   #2
JokerBroker
On the road to being a farker

I would stay away from a cordless vacuum if you think you will have an electrical outlet near the cooker. They lack power and don't seem to last as long. I like a plain old Shop Vac. Pick your size but I have a 5 gallon and it works great on ashes and everything else. There are different replacement filters you can buy based on how small the particles are that you are picking up but they get more expensive and have to be cleaned or replaced more often when you get to the really fine filters. I spend about a minute scraping out the bulk of the ashes and then just use a standard filter to vacuum out the rest. I'm very happy with that technique.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-17-2017, 07:57 AM   #3
kingjman
Full Fledged Farker

I see free shop vac on CL a lot, neighbor gave me one couple years back when he moved. Gets a lot of use in the garage and as an ash vac. I never vac even slightly warm ashes. Has a decent reusable filter on it that I clean with an air compressor, and extended 3ft. nozzle...neighbors are far enough its no prob.
kingjman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2017, 08:05 AM   #4
JD08
Full Fledged Farker

The only issue is to keep up with the filter. Once it blows ash through the motor assembly it will never be 100% again.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stinger-...2025/100021998
JD08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #5
JDM46
is one Smokin' Farker

I use a Rigid for all of my Vac needs. Filter is a breeze to clean.
Not the cheapest vac, but work great IMO.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:41 AM   #6
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

I just bought a Vac Master Ash Vacuum from HD on line and it works really well for my fire place and smoker. It can handle some worm embers.
24x42 Shirley Fabrication Elevated/Straight back patio model with warmer
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill
LSG Mini on reversed comp cart

Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2017, 10:06 AM   #7
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westx View Post
I just bought a Vac Master Ash Vacuum from HD on line and it works really well for my fire place and smoker. It can handle some worm embers.
I had no idea such a thing existed. I shall order one posthaste.

Amazon has them for about $70 but they're out of stock.
medic92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #8
gengle
Full Fledged Farker

I've got and use on the smokers/grills a Rigid 4 gal/5.0 HP peak shop vac from HD and buy the small particle filter bags. I've been supplementing heat with a 68K BTU Harmon Pellet stove for 6 years and use this vac for the bi-weekly cleaning of it ... the ash is as fine as talcum powder ... never an issue. Just make sure what you're vacuuming is stone cold. That little thing'll suck the teeth right out your head! ;>

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-17-2017, 10:10 AM   #9
PNWSmoke
Knows what a fatty is.

I bought a purpose built Ash vacuum when I had an apartment with a fireplace - http://a.co/d1eoydG

Since getting the house and starting BBQ, we use it all the time, grouting, sanding, BBQing, 2 fireplaces, we've had it for over a year, I've used it pretty heavily during sandy and dusty projects, and it's done well. The nice thing about it is the filter is cloth and reusable, and it puts out NO particles. Everything gets trapped, whereas a shopvac will spew dust all over without a filter.
PNWSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2017, 12:22 PM   #10
rexster314
Full Fledged Farker

I got this one about 2 weeks ago.

Sorry about the rotation.

Last edited by rexster314; 08-15-2018 at 02:17 PM..
rexster314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #11
Dweverett
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWSmoke View Post
I bought a purpose built Ash vacuum when I had an apartment with a fireplace - http://a.co/d1eoydG

Since getting the house and starting BBQ, we use it all the time, grouting, sanding, BBQing, 2 fireplaces, we've had it for over a year, I've used it pretty heavily during sandy and dusty projects, and it's done well. The nice thing about it is the filter is cloth and reusable, and it puts out NO particles. Everything gets trapped, whereas a shopvac will spew dust all over without a filter.
I have the same one and agree, the filter works well. Previously I had used a more general shop vac and the fine dust got blown back out through the exhaust.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:49 PM   #12
Joshw
Babbling Farker

When I bought my pellet grill, I needed something to clean ashes out. I have a large shop vac, but didn't want to drag it out to clean up a small amount of ashes. Plus, once you use it for ashes, that is all it is good for. I looked at the ash vacuums, and they look pretty nice, I wanted something small and compact. I went with this, and have been pretty happy. It has a washable, cloth filter, that cleans pretty easy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2017, 01:11 PM   #13
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I have a PowerSmith and have had no issues. Nothing blows out of the exhaust. It does what it's supposed to do.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0060...YNL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The 2020 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash Planning Post! (Link)
The 2020 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash Sign up sheet (Link)
pjtexas1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2017, 01:13 PM   #14
Ducksmoke
On the road to being a farker

Another recommendation on the powersmith. I’ve had one for 5 years. Use it for both the wood burner stove in house and for my pellet smoker. Replaced the filer at about 3 years, should last through the winter.
Ducksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2017, 02:06 PM   #15
TravelingJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Justin

So far, I just use the Milwaukee 18v cordless vacuum. I've been using it for work around the house, and it was handy when I needed it...so I went for it. I clean the filter after each use on the smoker, though. For me, it has to be convenient, and our house is outlet poor, so things have to be cordless for me to use them.
TravelingJ is online now   Reply With Quote