MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
Fishiest1
Full Fledged Farker

Default Deep South Smokers

Well, after a couple months of going back and forth I have decided to purchase my first new smoker in while.

Deep South is running a 15% off sale and I opted to put a deposit in.

Was hoping some might have suggestions for the build ie extras, need to haves etc. Still also debating the size. It seems like the biggest commitment is getting one of the GCs the size upgrades really aren't that much.

Anyway, please any suggestions welcome!

Thank you!

Old 12-15-2017, 05:18 PM   #2
Bigdawg580
On the road to being a farker

Gc 28 has been more then enuff smoker for me. Does everything i need it to in my backyard. I went with the larger wheels and upgrade to the stainless steel racks.
Best smoker i have purchased. I did learn these smoker like wood with a higher moisture to achieve the smoke flavor i was use to.
Bigdawg580 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-15-2017, 07:46 PM   #3
Macky
Take a breath!

I have the model underneath the 28 with the upgraded wheels and round bar racks. I use it for family and friends weekend backyard cooks and I love it! Like most if not all gravity fed charcoal smokers, you need to be cautious of bridging within the chute. Other than that, I suggest you master the smoker manually then consider the electronic control options. Welcome to the DS family! Mac
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2017, 08:32 PM   #4
BIGLEGGA
Knows what a fatty is.

28 is more than enough for backyard and comp cooks. Catering or parties over 60 people you can justify moving up in size. Big wheels and round bar racks are a must, if you have big hands I recommend asking Randal about using a larger round bar tubing for the handle. I have it on mine and it makes it a little more comfortable to move around than the standard square tubing.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:51 PM   #5
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

No advice just wanted to say congrats. They make a beautiful cooker.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2017, 04:36 AM   #6
localyocal

Name/Nickname : Brad

I echo the other comments about the round bar racks and upgraded wheels. It's surprisingly easy to move around. I have the GC28 and I believe it will be adequate for competitions or backyard cooks. I went with 5 racks rather than the 3.

I'm actually on my first cook as we speak. I seasoned it night before last and I must say that this thing is effortless to use. Right now I have 3 briskets and 2 racks of ribs cooking and I'm using 3 of my 5 shelves. I might point out that I separate my points and flats (one brisket is flat only) so I actually have the equivalent of 6 hotel pans in my cooker as I cook in pans using cooling racks for air flow. Thus far I love my new girl. Compared to my reverse flow pull behind and beast water cooker the temperature management and ease of cleaning the fire box is FAR easier on the Deep South.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:53 AM   #7
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Congrats! Why a gravity fed over an insulated cabinet? I'm still uncommitted!

I tend to think the IVC gives me the cook time I need without the added expense and complication of the gravity feed system. A charcoal basket doesn't 'bridge' either!
Sid Post is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2017, 05:11 AM   #8
Fishiest1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
Congrats! Why a gravity fed over an insulated cabinet? I'm still uncommitted!

I tend to think the IVC gives me the cook time I need without the added expense and complication of the gravity feed system. A charcoal basket doesn't 'bridge' either!

Sid, good morning! You know, I guess I just wanted to try something different. I have a BWS and a Spicewine. I will probably keep one of them and make room for the Deep South. Also, I do live in SW FL close to the water and have found BWS does not do great around here as far as rust.

As far as the model, I know this sounds nuts but I may go with a 42 for 3 pans and the ability to cook a small whole hog. My wife is a saint. :)

Thank you everyone else for the advice!

Old 12-16-2017, 09:41 AM   #9
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Ah, the itch for something new! It will be interesting to see how the salt air rust concerns work out on the new cooker too!
Sid Post is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2017, 02:37 PM   #10
Fishiest1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
Ah, the itch for something new! It will be interesting to see how the salt air rust concerns work out on the new cooker too!
Yes, and want something bigger as well.

I will say my Spicewine is fine here in FL, as is the weber so I have hopes for the Deep South. It just seems like maybe the BWS has issues here and I have had 2 ie a party and a fat boy.

With the Deep South for an additional 800 you can go from 2 to 3 pans a rack. When you think about it that's a lot of real estate gain, right?

Old 12-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #11
Fishiest1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
I have the model underneath the 28 with the upgraded wheels and round bar racks. I use it for family and friends weekend backyard cooks and I love it! Like most if not all gravity fed charcoal smokers, you need to be cautious of bridging within the chute. Other than that, I suggest you master the smoker manually then consider the electronic control options. Welcome to the DS family! Mac

Macky or anyone that has a 28 or up can you tell me how wide it is? Just hoping I can fit it through our gate to the backyard.

Thank you in advance!

Old 12-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #12
Smokin-Bones
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Congrats
Smokin-Bones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #13
Bigdawg580

GC28 is about 31 inches wide to clear the slam latch.
Measuring outside to outside of wheels
( large wheels) is about 38 inch
Bigdawg580 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2017, 04:56 PM   #14
twatsonr1
Full Fledged Farker

I bough my 28 used with the standard wheels, but I'd get the upgraded wheels just for the cool factor. I'd also go with the round bar racks.
twatsonr1 is offline   Reply With Quote