Pork shoulder guys what is this...?

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Cooking for 50 people next week. Doing some cooking and vacuum sealing this weekend. Unwrap should to see this shoulder with black which I assume blood clots? Along with terrible butchering the but is cut in half almost and this tube coming out. What is it?
c82cad7d5f78d51767f923fb5a750922.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep and I'd return it!

Yep and I'd return it!

Would you really? I was considering it but I didn’t know if that’s a legit reason to. I understand that it’s normal in meat but it shouldn’t be packaged with it right....? Not to mention the shoulder is literally cut almost in half....

Was that a boneless shoulder to start with? If so, they are always tore up. Also you'll find that tube/vein in about every other butt.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bone in pork shoulder. Called HEB where I got it. First the girl said don’t worry about bringing the meat in. Obviously I could show them the picture then she calls the meat market and they said they will need the shoulder brought to them so they can see it in person....I understand where they are coming from but wow! So In a heb bag it goes to the store.

Was that a boneless shoulder to start with? If so, they are always tore up. Also you'll find that tube/vein in about every other butt.

We apparently shop at different stores. Been through a lot of butts in my day and have never ran into that

Me too. All pigs have 'em.

We tend to forget that our meat was once a living creature with pretty much the same organs and blood vessels we have. I think everyone should have the experience of killing, cleaning and cooking an animal.

I was just wondering what it is. I really just don’t like the fact the thing is basically butterflied.

I was just wondering what it is. I really just don’t like the fact the thing is basically butterflied.
More smoke flavor, shorter cook time perhaps. Could be a good thing. You're just going to shred it anyway, right?

We apparently shop at different stores. Been through a lot of butts in my day and have never ran into that
I do probably 100 a year, maybe more. Many, many have that vein end left. With bone-in it is inside the meat as it retracts after it gets cut. When opened up (boneless) you see it more often.

If I butcher my own that's fine but if you are paying money for a properly butchered hog then it's not. I've cooked plenty of pork butts and that one should have been pulled at the packer and discarded. I had my friend who works for JBS look at the pic, told me that one would never get past their inspectors. If it doesn't bother folks that's fine, it's a personal choice.

Hmmm remove it you say, I don't bother and just pick it out and eat it when I'm pulling, it pretty much renders into the meat after a 7 to 9 hour cook.

As you already know...it's a vein. Can't believe some snowflakes suggested you take it back to the store because of that. What is this barbecue world coming to?!? LoL

As for the butchering...sure it could have been "prettier"...but I go right back to that snowflake classification. Is that really going to matter 9 hours into the cook?

And whole shoulder? HuH?

Back