BBQ books

zackgirton6

Knows what a fatty is.
I've read franklins book already... I saw Tuffy's post on instagram about his book coming out so I went to buy it not realizing it wasn't released till May! So the question is any other good BBQ books to read that aren't strictly cook books?

I highly recommend Meathead's BBQ book. I forget the title as I'm not looking at it right now, but go to amazingribs.com and I'm sure you'll find a link to it. Very science-based with lots of myth-busting.

I also like Holy Smoke, which tells the story of North Carolina BBQ.

And the Big Bob Gibson book by Chris Lilly.

Stick with proven authors, Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto is a great book.

Peace, Love, & Barbecue: Recipes, Secrets, Tall Tales, and Outright Lies from the Legends of Barbecue - by Mike Mills & Amy Mills Tunnicliffe
http://www.amazon.com/Peace-Love-Ba...099/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422018351

This wonderful book about the world of barbecue is often humorous and with some recipes that people would gladly have given their eye teeth for over the years. Some of the greatest names in traditional american cooking are represented; the book is a treasure trove of information and the stories Mills relates are the type one usually only gets to hear late at night after more than a few beers while the hog is slowly roasting away.

Just the chapter on the "Secrets" would be worth the price of the book. Additionally, the "Magic Dust" recipe will leave you wanting to run to the store and make up a batch just to shake directly on your tongue! The book just isn't a "recipe" or "cook book", it's all about what people think and do for the love of food, but not limited to just barbecue. This book will set you straight on many "urban legends" and point your smoker the right direction in how to make lip smacking BBQ.

Smoke & Spice: Cooking with Smoke, the Real Way to Barbecue - by Cheryl Alters Jamison & Bill Jamison
http://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Spice-C...36X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422190900

The updated edition also offers a number of recipes for non-traditional barbecue and complimentary side dishes. The book starts with some extremely generalized discussions of grills and also is extremely repetitive in trying to describe direct v. indirect grilling v. extremely basic description of smoking and BBQ.

As a beginner, I would avoid the "Weber" books... Although these books have great photography, they contain some complex recipes allowing you to make gourmet style foods on the grill. This doesn't mean the book is bad, but in my opinion it is just not for the beginner, and it only covers grilling.

If you are looking for a compilation of of cooking with fire, I would advise you to look at one of Steven Raichlen's books like the "Barbecue Bible". He seems specialize in including everything in his books. But, in my opinion, these books give you very little usable data other than a widely varied collection of recipes.

This doesn't mean his books are bad, but rather the recipe collections spark the thought process allowing you to come up with new ideas and you can modify the recipes to your liking. They make great reading material for the bathroom magazine rack.

Less common, but good reads if you can find them:

Smokestack Lightning by Eric Lolis Elie
Cornbread Nation 2: The United States of Barbecue by Eric Lolis Elie

I'm Glad I Ate When I Did 'Cause I'm Not Hungry Now by Caleb Pirtle

Thanks just bought “Peace, Love, & Barbecue: Recipes, Secrets, Tall Tales, and Outright Lies from the Legends of Barbecue” and Franklin’s book also.

I have Chris Lillys-Big Bob Gibsons bbq book, Franklins A Meat Smoking Manifesto and Meatheads the Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling. Im thinkimg about getting Steven Raichlen's Project smoke.

Daniel Vaughn “The Prophets Of Smoked Meats”

https://www.amazon.com/Prophets-Smoked-Meat-Journey-Barbecue/dp/0062202928

Our Library has a copy.

For those that dont know, Daniel Vaughn works for Texas Monthly magazine and hes the one who decides the "Best BBQ in Texas" lists. I have not read his book but the guy knows Texas BBQ and he should have some good stories.

All these places that have 4 hours lines out the door are all the result of Daniel's opinion. If it was not for Daniel, Aaron Franklin would still be a sleepy little trailer selling BBQ on the corner of I-35.

Last edited:
Smokestack Lightning, as mentioned above, and Cooking With Fire by Paula Marcoux.

Whatever you do, stay far, far away from Savage Barbecue by Andrew Warnes. It sounded like a pretty cool book but by the time I'd finished it I wanted to paddle over to England and punch him in the chops a couple of times, figuratively speaking. I'm glad the book was a gift and not something any of my money went towards. (Amanda, if you're reading this...."Great Book!! I enjoyed it immensely!!!"

Peace, Love and BBQ by Mike Mills is a classic. Smokestack Lightning is basically two buddies traveling around eating BBQ and having adventures.

Thanks just bought “Peace, Love, & Barbecue: Recipes, Secrets, Tall Tales, and Outright Lies from the Legends of Barbecue” and Franklin’s book also.

Franklin's book: Excellent choice. Peace Love Barbecue, I don't have that one.

The OP is looking for not-just-a-cookbook books, therefore I do NOT recommend the aforementioned Smoke & Spice. Recipes and not much else. Good recipes though.

At the other extreme, if you want to get smart on the science side as well as technique, I recommend Mastering The Grill, by Andrew Schloss. Reminds me of a college textbook. And I mean that in a good way.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
For a book with NO recipes and purely focused on the history of BBQ, I'd recommend Barbecue: The History of an American Institution by Robert Moss. Gives a great overview of where barbecue started out in the US, and how it's grown throughout the different regions.

Also, for a book with both great recipes and BBQ-related stories, Feeding the Fire, by Joe Carroll. And as has been mentioned by several above, Peace, Love, and BBQ is a can't-put-downer.

In my humble opinion no book even comes close to Manifesto but I do refer to Adam Perry Lang's serious barbecue a lot. It has a lot of recipes but he still talks a lot about barbecue. I also read Myron mixon's book and it was pretty decent if you can get past his ego.

Back