MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:28 PM   #1
bstomper
Full Fledged Farker

Default Cold smoking sausage

If I make fresh sausage with cure added, is it ok to “cold” smoke it for a couple hours just to get a smoke flavour. Reason I ask is because I have a great recipe that I made last year that called for a 2 hour smoke just to add flavour . It wasn’t smoked to the “cooked” stage and still had to be cooked to eat, but it was awesome. I don’t have a dedicated smoker so I did it in my UDS and managed to keep the heat in the 170-190 range with some playing around. It worked great but I could only smoke two racks at a time and to took a long time to smoke the whole batch. If I can cold smoke it I would be able to add more racks or hang the links so I could smoke a lot more at a time. I would use my smoke tube.
bstomper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2017, 08:45 PM   #2
mowin
Full Fledged Farker

Yes, if cure #1 is used you can cold smoke. I make venison kielbasa by cold smoking for several hrs, then cook at a later date.
"Elizabeth Ann" bubba grills 250 ribbox RF offset.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2017, 09:42 PM   #3
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yes, but keep in mind that the meat will also be cured. So if you have something like pork sausage that is brown/tan in color when cooked, it will be pink and taste similar to ham instead of pork.

Keep in mind that you live in Saskatchewan, which is very cold, so a 2 cold hour smoke in your winter temperatures would be safe, followed by a quick freeze. You would still be in the safe zone when cold smoking outside using only the A-Maze-N smoke tube. This, with the fact that the sausage would be cooked before eating, the cure would not be needed because it was always at a safe temperature (below 40° F).
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2017, 10:40 PM   #4
bstomper
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks guys thats the answer I was hoping for.
IamMadMan, you are correct it will definately be a "cold" smoke. Having said that the temps here this winter have been well above the normal for this time of year.
bstomper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2017, 06:00 AM   #5
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstomper View Post
IamMadMan, you are correct it will definately be a "cold" smoke. Having said that the temps here this winter have been well above the normal for this time of year.
I bet your "warmer than normal" is still too cold for my liking.
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote