Wild Boar Pork Butt *Cooking Help*

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
Neighbor asked me to BBQ what he said was "ham" from a wild boar he bagged. I cant tell if its the front or rear but not sure if that makes a difference. Seems to be about 13-14 lbs.

I know wild game is much leaner than the farmed stuff we get, so the question is, do I cook this with same techniques as a pork butt and bring it up to pulling temps? Or, is it being much leaner going to dry it out so I should cook it more like a loin to 150-155 and slice?

I cooked 4 wild boar shoulders about a month ago and treated just like a domestic pig, came out great.

attachment.php

Last wild pig shoulder I smoked to 165 and wrapped in foil and finished it at 185, after an hour rest meat just almost fell off the bone and not dry at all.

Larry
cant figure out why pic rotated :(

I treat them the same. Little leaner, and slightly darker color after pulling when finished, but never had anyone notice it if i didn't tell them first...

I cook them anytime I can get to Texas to hit the hogs there. Treat it like commercial pork!
They are delicious.

As stated above treat the same, I like to give my wild meat a soak in buttermilk overnight, helps pull out some of the game flavor. On bigger cuts I keep the very large food grade zipper bags from ULINE at home and put enough buttermilk in to coat it good. I take it out and wipe it off really good before I apply rub and smoke. Probably doesn't make that much of a difference but in my mind it does.

Smokey

I have tried several times, and find it too lean for me. If you are cooking to pulling temp, I would either brine, or inject it. And definitely take CptKaos advice, and wrap to finish. Personally, I think they make better sausage than anything else. Even then, you have to add a lot of fatback.

Thanks for all the help. As far a timing??? same as a butt?? About the same as commercial pork, so I'll need an overnighter to do at 250-275?

Back