First attempt at packer brisket

ferdelious

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This weekend was my first attempt at a whole packer brisket using a stick burner. I figured go big or go home so I bought a Prime one from Costco. Overall I was pretty happy with how it turned out. Five hours on the smoker then foil wrap and finish in the oven. The flat was a tad dry but smoke flavor and taste were spot on.

I probably cooked it a little too hot, around 275 on my thermometer by the smoke stack. I'm thinking next time I need to use a diffuser plate in my Brazos because there is a pretty big hot spot in the middle of the chamber and brisket is not as forgiving as pork butt or chicken.

IMG_5356.jpg

IMG_5357.jpg

53461596606__E453D239-F216-43DF-8946-65A9365663D5.jpg

IMG_5360.jpg

Looks great! Planning on a whole brisket this coming weekend for a Christmas party... My 12 year old traeger texas is looking a little worse for wear so just replaced it with a new GMG. Hopefully I won't ruin it.

Looks like you've got a lot of room on that smoker. I can't tell which way you have the brisket oriented, but for moister brisket I suggest you try 1- putting it in the smoker on the end farthest from the firebox, since you have room, 2- orient the brisket fat cap up (in other words the side with the point up), 3- with the brisket point end nearest to the firebox, and 4- smoke it at 225 deg.

I've always smoked my briskets in that fashion, never wrapped or used the oven, and had good success.

Great start, Check out the write up in my signature below. Everything I learned from the Brethren here.

Move the brisket to the far left side of the smoker next time instead of in the middle.

Nice job, thanks for sharing.

Back