Semi Live Thread: long weekend in progress, new smoker and first smoke.

BeardedBassGuy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So after a crazy back and forth, and thinking I had been flaked on, I got a call from my old high school friend that I could pick up my smoker this weekend. I installed a hitch on my wife's tiny Hyundai, borrowed a plywood trailer from a friend, and drove 130 miles to get it.

It's MASSIVE. I Underestimated just how big it was, and it barely fit on the trailer. Oh, and it weighs somewhere around 700 pounds. It's an octagon reverse flow, single grate, all 1/4" steel. 42" long chamber (haven't measured the diameter yet) and an absolute beast of a firebox.

Anyway I drove 2.5 hours to get it after work Friday. Pulling it was a bit scary, but I managed. Wouldn't do it again with the same setup though.

Ended up having a neighbor friend with a boom crane service truck help me unload it late Saturday afternoon. Was much easier than the alternatives I was considering since the trailer had no ramp.

He had used the smoker 4 times previously so there was no need to season, but I did do a small test fire last night for a few hours to see how it managed itself. It's a bit leaky around the door but it drafts like crazy though the exhaust.

Got up at 4 this morning, lit the fire, and prepared a brisket while it went up to temp. I used some b&b lump from Walmart, and some oak I picked up locally. I don't like the oak unfortunately, it's too dry and burning way too fast. I'll pick another vendor for next time. I had some Western brand mesquite chunks in the garage, and I'm tossing some it there too as a flavor mix.

Brisket is a Costco prime ($2.99 lb, which was the same a ribs) that I hit with some Worcestershire sauce and some Sucklebusters 1836 rub. Since the house fire I haven't replenished my normal rubs, and Sucklebusters was kind enough to give us some for the Texas Bash, I decided to use it. First time with the WS and first time with the rub. Im interested to see what happens.

Brisket went on at 5:15, and I put 4 naked maple fatties on about 6:45. I'll update this thread with more pics of the smoker when the sun gets up more, and payoff shots (hopefully) later.

This is my first solo stick burner cook ever. On a brand new to me pit. I've been so nervous but it's going well. I've got the pit hovering around 250 pretty consistent and I'm feeling a bit better.

wGnuH78l.jpg

FbGcNtYl.jpg

Yo2Z2uZl.jpg

0gQ5Ksol.jpg

NjX25wml.jpg

Last edited:
I'm on mobile, so I'm not sure, but the pics look huge. I apologise if they are, but I don't know how to resize them.

How deep is the grate? Looks like you have room for a couple of butts too. Looks nice!

How deep is the grate? Looks like you have room for a couple of butts too. Looks nice!

I don't have an exact at the moment but I'd say close to 2 feet. I have tons of room still on here if I wanted.

Congratulations on the new pit, nice to have a neighbor with a boom truck. Your pics are sized just right and your cook is looking great.

Congrats on the new pit Bass. Nice first cook, I used the 1836 rub from sucklebusters on our thanksgiving turkey and it tasted great. Was good to meet you at the bash
SMOKE ON BRO :)

Larry

Was that more of the Hyundai or the rickety harbor freight trailer?

Little of A, little of B. It actually pulled really really well. It was just very scary any time I hit a bump since the smoker is so heavy.

Final time was just over 10 hours. I unwrapped for the last 2 or so to crisp up the bark a bit. Rested in foil in a warm cooler for almost 2 hours.

Bark is wonderful. Meat is flavorful and tender, but the flat is a tad dry. I think it's overcooked but barely as the point is spot on and amazing. Overall very happy with the results.

hZTtBuFl.jpg

22y4yWNl.jpg

Hey Now - I gave you some Adkins Western Style Brisket Rub at the Bash.......

Brisket Looks Pretty Decent. I'd have to see more slice pics but I'd say just Slightly undercooked. Flats are almost always on the dry side but Tasty. I like BBQ Sauce anyways - Stubbs Original slighlty thinned.........

Looks like a BadAzz Pit......Doors leaks don't hurt Nuttin'.......

Back