New Backwoods Chubby G2 Tips

neloco

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I purchased a Chubby G2 from CL a few weeks ago. I did a test run empty but now I want to really cook. Any helpful tips from users would be most appreciated!! I also have an IQ110 adaptor for it to try so any ATC help would be great.. It seemed to run similar to my WSM on my test run. Thanks for the help. Jon

What are you looking for? I had a Party G2, pretty much set and forget. Light just the front corner, try wrapping the water pan to ease cleanup.

Todd

Thanks Todd. What you said is good. Do I need to leave the chimney 100% open or use it to adjust temps with the side vents. Jon

Chimney 100% open, back vent shut, control temp with right vent (the corner where you dump your light charcoal). I had a bbq guru from another smoker but ran the Backwoods for a couple years with no temp controller.

Todd

Nice find! Rarely see smokers like that used in the North West. Post some pics of your first cook.

Rare CL find in Colorado. It was basically new. I have 3 offsets but wood is so expensive in Denver I thought I would try the backwoods. WSM is great except in the cold/wind. Great vent advice Todd.. glad to hear that you didn’t need the ATC.

Jon

I hear you on the cost of wood. I bought an Oklahoma Joe offset to see if I wanted to get a nicer one. The cost of smoking wood here is absurd. It's sitting in the garage unused. I actually just put in on Craigslist a few weeks ago. Will probably invest in a cabinet at some point.

Back