Mixon vs T&K

kclark6595

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Getting ready to pull the trigger on my next smoker. Need something with a bit more room and liked the idea of the gravity feed models.

From what i read, both the Mixon and the T&K make great products.

Looking for experienced advise from those that have used both. I like the way the Mixon does it's heat transfer from the firebox and read that the temp variation is only a few degrees from top to bottom. Is this actually true?

I know the T&K is about half the price, but I also know that sometimes, price doesn't necessarily mean anything.

That's why I am looking for pros and cons from folks that have actually used both.

Thanks!

Gravity feds to replace a Jambo

Stumps, Deep South and, Pitmaker all compete in the same premium space. Something like the Lone Star Grillz IVC is another top option for many.

What do you run now? What do you like or dislike about it? What 'size' are you looking for? What is your budget? Why are you looking at the TK and Myron Mixon versions?

I currently have a Lang 48 and a POS pellet grill. Love the Lang for the flavor I get, but is hard to tend to, specially on long cooks. Also, the round design limits the amount and types of foods I can put on the top rack without hitting the back of the smoker or the lid.

Specifically was looking at the Mixon G20 and the T&K Medium. Both are comparable in size and capacity, but the Mixon is about twice the price.

I see a few things that in reading, I like about the Mixon, but not having used either before, am not sure that they are really "improvements" or if its just sales hype.

Stainless steel interiors and racks, heat tube that put the heat and smoke from the firebox in the middle of the cook chamber rather than at the edge. I am sure they are nice additions, but nice enough to warrant double the price? And one thing that really caught my attention on the Mixon is the claim that temp differences between top and bottom racks is only about 5 degrees. Can this really be so?

And to make matters worse, what about the new Humphries gravity Feeds....they claim to be reverse flow as well. Anyone have any experience with theirs as well?

Just hoping to hear back from folks that own each of these models on what they like and dislike about each.

Last edited:
Take a look at this for a different view on what your options are. At $3500, it has large capacity along with a small footprint to meet the needs of a wide variety of people looking for a smoker similar to yourself.
Pitmaker Vault

I have been going through the same (at least similar) decision process.

First, don't buy into the thought process that it must be within 5 degrees side to side and top to bottom to be a premium smoker. Sure you don't want radical heat differences but, it really isn't super critical to most smoking. In terms of the Mixon units being unique in their 5 degree thermal gradient, it isn't that unique. Cabinets and offsets can hit that with any good builder if they put the time and effort into it. On the flip side, some offset cooks actually want a bit of temperature gradient to cook different things at different rates (briskets, butts, and chicken for example).

Personally, I would rather put my money into other parts of the smoker so I have trouble seeing the need or expense of putting in a gravity feed system. How many hours of continuous heat without refueling do you want or need in one cook? This isn't a stick burner after all!

In terms of one brand being better than the other, most of this really depends on the cook. Assuming similar capacities and similar styles (offsets, vertical, UDS, etc.), you will find many people turning out mind blowing BBQ and evangelizing their smoker of choice. That doesn't mean the others aren't just as good or even better, just that a good cook can use almost anything to make great food.

Stainless steel interiors and racks, heat tube that put the heat and smoke from the firebox in the middle of the cook chamber rather than at the edge. I am sure they are nice additions, but nice enough to warrant double the price?

Stainless racks, ash pans, etc. are available from any decent builder. Heck, they will build the whole thing out of Stainless Steel if you are willing to pay for it! Just check out the Pitmaker Vault!

Heat tube to the middle of the cook chamber sounds like good marketing and a bit of HYPE to me! Sure, plates, diffusers, etc. are common to many pits to avoid hot spots but, that's sort of like saying your car has disc brakes. sure they are good but, they aren't unique and good drum brakes will still stop your car!

I have a Humphreys Pint, absolutely rock solid cooker. I have the stainless rod racks, 6 inch angled legs, 8 inch wheels, puts the top of the pit almost at 5 feet, just right. Outstanding customer service, communication, quality build. First run in competition netted RGC. I run mine at 275 at the top. The flexibility of the Pint with the Advanced Airflow gate allows me to run different temps in the same chamber. Could not recommend them more highly.

I just had my brand new Pint delivered. I haven’t done the seasoning on it yet so I cant speak to it’s performance but I can tell you that this unit is solid and sturdy and that the service and support I received from Chad and Nicole Humphrey is second to none. Great folks producing a great product.

I have a Humphreys Pint as well and couldn’t be happier! You can customize a Humphreys with a plethora of options to fit your needs. Chad and Nicole deliver first class customer service to their customers. Definitely check them out, you won’t be disappointed ✌��

I have a pint as well, have had it for about 2.5 years. I looked at almost every model/brand you're looking at before deciding on Humphrey's. Couldn't have made a better decision. Rock solid build, amazing customer support, can't ask for more from them. They truly care about their customers.

hey OP...looks like you have it all wrong...get a Humphrey's Pint. :laugh:
i would get T&K to price their GF with the SS options that the Mixon unit has and see how they compare after it is more apples to apples. unless you don't care for the ss. c'mon guys, i know you love your cookers but he was really wanting info on 2 in particular. :wink:

also, which Mixon model are you looking at? the G9 seems to be nearly the same size as the T&K medium for about $700 more. the G20 has a much larger cook chamber than the T&K medium but about the same as the T&K large at $1,400 more. i am looking at the prices on the sites without options and shipping. those will require quotes to get exact numbers. good luck with your decision.

Smoker choices

Hey Paul - I think they were answering his post a little further down.

And to make matters worse, what about the new Humphries gravity Feeds....they claim to be reverse flow as well. Anyone have any experience with theirs as well?”

Hey Paul - I think they were answering his post a little further down.

And to make matters worse, what about the new Humphries gravity Feeds....they claim to be reverse flow as well. Anyone have any experience with theirs as well?”

i saw that but nobody commented on the Humphrey's gravity feed models. maybe i am just cranky today.:tsk: or maybe the GF models work 100% like the RF cabinets???

Yes, the reverse flow is the same in the gravity feed and cabinets of the Humphrey's Smokers. Just the location of the charcoal and Burn area is different.

The Humphrey Gravity Feed units are fully welded unlike the cabinets.

Both the Cabinets and Gravity Feed units offer the advanced air system which was touch upon in one of the posts about dialing in the smoker or being able to offer different temps to cook different meats throughout the smoker.

Yes, the reverse flow is the same in the gravity feed and cabinets of the Humphrey's Smokers. Just the location of the charcoal and Burn area is different.

The Humphrey Gravity Feed units are fully welded unlike the cabinets.

Both the Cabinets and Gravity Feed units offer the advanced air system which was touch upon in one of the posts about dialing in the smoker or being able to offer different temps to cook different meats throughout the smoker.

:thumb: i had no idea they welded the GF units.

Back