2 Chuck Roast Pastrami in the Brine

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
After making pastrami from a chuck roast for the first time the other week I think it will be my go to for when I make it vs brisket. Love the flavor of it. Also the portion size is great, though I'll cut briskets in half when brining.

So into the brine today went 2. Made the brine this morning and then ran to costco later
5n2THtgl.jpg

Little injection to speed up the process
F0HabsGl.jpg

c0TXVU0l.jpg

Into a bucket and fridge
Fo102s6l.jpg

LjSe1rAl.jpg

If you haven't tried it before I highly recommend it. Will hopefully smoke one next weekend and freeze the other for a later date. Again love that portion size :becky:

Looks great! I love pastrami. I would smoke them both though. Vacuum seal and freeze, after they are cooked. They reheat really well in boiling water. Or, let thaw in the fridge for cold sandwiches.

Looks great! I love pastrami. I would smoke them both though. Vacuum seal and freeze, after they are cooked. They reheat really well in boiling water. Or, let thaw in the fridge for cold sandwiches.

Ya these even more heat up even better than brisket and are ofter better after smoked and chilled. I have another cook planned though with family for the other one. Will be smoking that day with other stuff so going anyways so going to keep it raw.

I probably should have snagged 4, but trying a new brine recipe that also included some beef base to see what that does. Been on a pastrami kick recently with having dome some chuckie prior and lamb is also amazing corned :clap2:. Corned meat also makes amazing sausage.

All it takes is one bite, for me to get on a kick. I have even made it out of pork loin, and it was good. I prefer the fattier meats though. Unfortunately, I am out, and now I am going to have to make some.

Do you just rinse the meat in some running water after you remove it from the brine prior to smoking or do you desalinate in container of water for a period of time?

Do you just rinse the meat in some running water after you remove it from the brine prior to smoking or do you desalinate in container of water for a period of time?

I do a quick rinse, but that's about it. Some soak a lot of the store bought stuff (which I don't) so it is all about personal preference.

• Thanks
Reactions: ulc
Looks and sounds Great Will have to try this Why not smoke both then freeze one I am thinking about doing a Chuck and put it in Root Beer and onion next weekend

I do a quick rinse, but that's about it. Some soak a lot of the store bought stuff (which I don't) so it is all about personal preference.

Thanks for the info. I have some chuck roast in homemade brine as well. I tried the store bought stuff twice. First time I desalinated overnight and the pastrami was still way too salty. The second time I bought a different brand and desalinated for 3 days because I remembered how salty the first one was. 3 days was way too much and the second pastrami lacked salt and was bland. This is my first attempt at making my own. The brine didn't taste overly salty when I tasted it. I have two chuck roast in the brine right now. I might try cooking one just with a good water rinse before cooking the second one.

Looks and sounds Great Will have to try this Why not smoke both then freeze one I am thinking about doing a Chuck and put it in Root Beer and onion next weekend

I do like leftovers ready in the freezer, but I'm loading up the freezer with random corned stuff to smoke at a later date :-D. I have some briskets ready to cook, a butt and some bellies I corned as well.

Thanks for the info. I have some chuck roast in homemade brine as well. I tried the store bought stuff twice. First time I desalinated overnight and the pastrami was still way too salty. The second time I bought a different brand and desalinated for 3 days because I remembered how salty the first one was. 3 days was way too much and the second pastrami lacked salt and was bland. This is my first attempt at making my own. The brine didn't taste overly salty when I tasted it. I have two chuck roast in the brine right now. I might try cooking one just with a good water rinse before cooking the second one.

I might be in the minority as I know most folks here will soak corned beef overnight from the posts I remember reading. I certainly do like my salt so I haven't found a need to do more than a rinse. Luckily no one I've fed it to has spit it out........yet :becky:

That looks really good! Reading your previous corning threads is what inspired me to try making my own.

That looks great! Could you please share your brine recipe?

That looks great! Could you please share your brine recipe?

Here's what I did today. Only did 1/3 this recipe for this batch. You don't need all of these ingredients. I started with the amazing ribs recipe from their website and expanded to other ingredients.

2C Sugar
3C Salt
3T Fennel
1T Allspice Berries
3T Garlic
1T Peppercorns
3T Sage
6 Bay Leaves
3T Celery Seed
3T Crushed Pepper
3 Gallon Water
3T Pink (Cure #1)

Thanks,

Here's what I did today. Only did 1/3 this recipe for this batch. You don't need all of these ingredients. I started with the amazing ribs recipe from their website and expanded to other ingredients.

2C Sugar
3C Salt
3T Fennel
1T Allspice Berries
3T Garlic
1T Peppercorns
3T Sage
6 Bay Leaves
3T Celery Seed
3T Crushed Pepper
3 Gallon Water
3T Pink (Cure #1)