Morel Season Soon!

boberosabbq

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Can't freakin wait one of my all time favortie meals big ol steak and side of Morel mushrooms. Any one else hunt for em. Usually eat em till I'm sick. I got a hot spot on the Boberosa i'd show ya but I'd have to kill ya!

I get them by the bag full when we go to Wisconsin (and wild asparagus) but the only way to get them here is through a high end market or a good produce purveyor (and $20/lb). They are one of my favorites and Iove them in a red wine sauce with a dry aged steak.

boberosabbq said:
Any one else hunt for em.

Okay I am a city guy and pictured you with a rifle looking for mushrooms. Please explain hunt for em, I find them in the grocery store.

boberosabbq said:
Can't freakin wait one of my all time favortie meals big ol steak and side of Morel mushrooms. Any one else hunt for em. Usually eat em till I'm sick. I got a hot spot on the Boberosa i'd show ya but I'd have to kill ya!

Your killing me! I used to hunt them all the time when I lived in IL. When I first moved down here (in mar 98 ) I asked if there were any mushrooms here. You shoulda seen the people look at me like I was a drug runner or something :shock: .

I think I may have seen them at Central Market, but they were something like $30-$40 / lb.

If you find so many you don't know what to do with them.....:wink:

It's a northern Indiana and Michigan thing for me. Every spring around Mid April-May people round here go into the woods hunting for morel mushrooms. No automatic weapons, high powered rifles, or 12 ga. shotguns(unless your turkey hunting and mushroom hunting). Usually just a knife to cut the little suckers off at the root. Hutning for em is just an expression because sometimes the little bastards are real hard to find. For you folks who havn't had morel mushrooms too bad and so sad.

Here's a pic below.

Some real good eating and the best mushroom in my book!

Attachments

• morel.jpg
    morel.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 98
boberosabbq said:
I got a hot spot on the Boberosa i'd show ya but I'd have to kill ya!
  1. What are the exact coordinates to the hot spot?
  2. Are you a good shot?
  3. Can you run fast?
  4. and
  5. Are you a big person? (Cause I don't like gettin killed when it hurts!):-D

River City Smokehouse said:
  1. What are the exact coordinates to the hot spot?
  2. Are you a good shot?
  3. Can you run fast?
  4. and
  5. Are you a big person? (Cause I don't like gettin killed when it hurts!):-D

1. You all ready know to much the shrooms are on The Boberosa go to
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25202&page=5
post #66

2. Cerified firearms instructor for the State of Indiana for police departments, and professional dog trainer where handling a gun is second nature. Pick you poison hand gun, ar-15, or shotgun. Or good old fashioned @$$ kickin' I perfer the latter.

3. 4.8 second forty yard dash. (football/softball coach)

4. and

5. 6-3, 300 lbs of pure sexy

6. Come on over :-D

All in good fun!

boberosabbq said:
If we get a sauce trade going about that time I'll be shipping some.

3.gif
Uh...I wanna trade with you.
3.gif

With my poor sense of direction you could trust the location with me. Even if you walked me to the spot and pointed "look there". I would not be able to find it again after I have a beer. Your secret will be safe with me.:wink:

I was shocked a few years ago when I went with my uncle (who has a small dairy farm in central Wisconsin) to his local watering hole for lunch one day. He told me you get a free bowl of mushroom soup with anything you ordered, so I get a burger and to my surprise it is a huge bowl of Morel soup (and by soup I mean just mushrooms cooked out in cream). It was amazing and I told the owner that in NYC I would be charging $25 for the same bowl of soup without the burger. We both laughed and then I ate 2 more bowls of soup. Supply and demand is great, huh?

My folks in Oregon pick them every year and usually bring me a bag of dried slices. Nada last year though - too dry up there or something. :(

Can't wait. Got one woods we hit every year that produces about 25 lbs and its around a 2 1/2 acre lot.

Just drooling thinking about em

2-3 weeks away from the blacks and 4-6 till well see the whites

Cheers Dan

boberosabbq said:
2. Cerified firearms instructor for the State of Indiana for police departments, and professional dog trainer where handling a gun is second nature. Pick you poison hand gun, ar-15, or shotgun. Or good old fashioned @$$ kickin' I perfer the latter.

3. 4.8 second forty yard dash. (football/softball coach)

4. and

5. 6-3, 300 lbs of pure sexy

6. Come on over :-D

All in good fun!

I'm Out!!:eusa_clap

I think the only mushrooms that grow down here are the ones that grow in the cow chit.

Which will either make you hallucinate or 'splode your liver...

Arlin_MacRae said:
Which will either make you hallucinate or 'splode your liver...

Why Mr. MacRae, I don't see chemist/pharmacist et.al listed as one of your occupations in your sig block:wink:

I manage to fing about a half a dozen a year on my little corner of paradise. I won't touch the damn things, but the wife'll eat 'em, and I score a few brownie points.

Mushrooms = Fungus
Athletes Foot = Fungus
Do the math.

Back