New brand of butts at Sam's

Kaptain Kadian

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Has anyone used these butts before? They are a little more expensive than the Smithfield prime reserves that I have been using from Sam's, but they seem to be a little less butchered up than the prime ones. The last prime one I got, the money muscle was hacked up pretty bad. The money muscles on these seem pretty good and large.

Last edited:
We also have these in Lincoln. If I recall the establishment number correctly, they come out of a small specialty plant, not normal Farmland/Smithfield channels. They looked pretty nice and had much better MM than the normal Smithfield Primes that I have seen lately. Kind of pricey, but what's another $15 or $20 a contest?

IMHO, that it has 'minimal processing and no antibiotics, steroids etc' is the main selling point. We are not too much into GM food on this side of the pond and many countries have actually made it illegal, or actively trying to reduce the amount of steroids and antibiotics in our food supply. But each to his/her own.

Me I like my food/meat with minimal or no processing.
Happy smoking.

The higher cost king of sucks, but if you buy them by the case, they are $0.50 per lbs cheaper. I think I am going to buy a case and split it with my dad. That would put the cost more in line with the prime ones and give me 8 to choose from for the competition

It looks like they are individually wrapped. That by itself is worth a little extra cost. I can’t remember how many times I’ve had to buy two two-packs just to get two usable butts.

I hope that our Sam’s is carrying these. I’ll check it out.

They are not selling well here at my Sam's club. Every one of them has been marked down to a reduced price because they are about to expire. I hope they continue to sell them

It looks like they are individually wrapped. That by itself is worth a little extra cost. I can’t remember how many times I’ve had to buy two two-packs just to get two usable butts.

I hope that our Sam’s is carrying these. I’ll check it out.

Our Sam's around here have been single packs for about a year, alternating between Smithfield Prime and IBP. The IBP's are about 30% comp worthy and the Primes about 5%.

Our Sam's around here have been single packs for about a year, alternating between Smithfield Prime and IBP. The IBP's are about 30% comp worthy and the Primes about 5%.

I haven't looked at butts at our Sam's for a while, but when I checked yesterday they had Smithfield Prime Reserve in single packs. No sign of the new brand mentioned above.

I used them last contest and I thought they were fine. Nothing special. I was able to pick through and get large money muscles. Would have helped if I didn't overcook them, but that's not their fault.

IMHO, that it has 'minimal processing and no antibiotics, steroids etc' is the main selling point. We are not too much into GM food on this side of the pond and many countries have actually made it illegal, or actively trying to reduce the amount of steroids and antibiotics in our food supply. But each to his/her own.

Me I like my food/meat with minimal or no processing.
Happy smoking.

Most of that labeling is just lip service to people that like to see it. The no antibiotics I can understand, but steroids (growth hormones) are against the law anyway.

Pork & poultry in the US are not allowed to have any hormones of any kind.

Back