Battery powered bbq guru

Billsharp34

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Was thinking of making something to run my guru when there is no power around and not to have to use the generator. I no you can use car battery but has anyone made anything with smaller batteries like AA, C, D batteries. If so how many mah do u need to make it last for a cook.

First off you need 12v. You could go with the 1.5v batteries, 8 tied/hooked together. You would want the rechargeable type. It can be done. Some of the electric vehicles 450lb battery containers are around 800 1.5v AA batteries tied together. I haven't done this, so I do not know how long they would last.
You could use 2) 6v dry cell batteries or 1) 12v dry cell. Or a lawnmower, motorcycle, snowmobile battery.
Or like some, I use my vehicle jumper box. Easy to recharge. Lasts longer than you should ever need. And It will power up 12v lights. Which can be useful in some locations. And start vehicles.

Hey Bill, I use a rechargeable 12 volt battery, it would last for days if I let it, and it only cost about $20 for the battery and charger. The connector from the battery to the Guru is about $8 or something from the www.Firecraft.com website.

E.g. charger; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-2A-S...-Charger-For-Car-Motor-Truck-IM-/162284233916

Battery; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-12v-...d-Battery-WP7-12-LP12-6-5-BP7-12/272707933662

(Buy from a local retailer though!)

Thanks I will look into this

I also use a rechargeable vehicle jump starter. It’s a bit bulky, but it self contained and easily portable.

I just rub coils on my belly. With my magnetic personality I have volts for days!!!:tongue:

We use the 9ah SLA batteries often used for depth finders. never have had a battery issue with them. can go multiple contests on one charge too (Guru seems to take far less power than you would think)

I use 8 D cell batteries in a holder that I got from Amazon. I soldered a barrel connector on but I think that they sell them with them attached now.

I use a jump car starter box that has a outlet on it and barley drains it even on a long cook .

Last edited:
kayaker fisherman (like myself) use 12v batteries all the time to run our electronics . You can put them in a watertight plastic box to keep everything dry. Look up 12v kayak batteries om amazon. Run an inline fuse to protect against a surge/short.

You can connect a phone charger to this as well.

Back