Overnight Butt Cook

bgross88

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just fired up the WSM for an overnight cook. 2 Boston Butts, 8.5 and 7.5. Figure they'll be on around 8:30. Anxious to see how the Weber briquettes perform on a long cook. I got the sample box over the summer and loved them in my kettle.

Hard to see in the pic, but the butts were rubbed with mustard and 3eyz.

It's 55 and raining here--has been all day. So I moved the smoker under cover a bit as it's supposed to rain all night as well.

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

**sorry about the pics--posting from my phone. I'll try to fix them later.**

Attachments

• IMG_3799.jpg
    IMG_3799.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_3801.jpg
    IMG_3801.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 184
Welding blankets helps WSMs when raining and when cold Try Stubb Briquettes They are a little pricey but work great Have fun My father was born and raised in Lebanon PA

I bet you'll like the Weber briquettes. Guarantee they'll burn cleaner so use enough wood.

Welding blankets helps WSMs when raining and when cold Try Stubb Briquettes They are a little pricey but work great Have fun My father was born and raised in Lebanon PA

Thanks! I learned the welding blanket trick here. I have one draped around it. She's settled in around 255-260. Butts hit the grate a bit earlier then I expected--at 8:00.

Forgot to add I'll be using pecan mixed with cherry...

You're not to far from me. I made the TP trip east a lot when my son was playing travel hockey.

How did it turn out Like those woods for pork I have cousins in the Hershey area I go around you for a camp reunion every few years

Here's the finished product. They actually got done sooner than I expected--removed both from the smoker at 5:30. IT temps were 203 and 201. As you can tell the one was practically falling apart.

The Weber briquettes were great. They burned completely-unlike KBB which always seems to leave very small pieces left over. I still have about 1/4 of my ring to reuse, but the ones that burned are 100% used up. They seem to run a bit hot-not that it's a bad thing.
My smoker usually runs around 250. It settled there for a bit. It actually ran closer to 270-275 most of the night when I checked my Maverick.

As for breakfast-it was smoky, porky goodness. I couldn't resist. :-D
I have them resting in a cooler, wrapped in foil until lunch time.

Back