Cold Smoking in a Lang 36 patio

Fourwinds

Reaction score
I've got a Lang 36 patio and I'm thinking of making some bacon since I've noticed the prices inching upwards. I've always hot smoked it in the past, but I'm thinking about cold smoking it this time. I'm thinking in lieu of buying an A-Maze-N smoker, just using the V shaped channel/grease drain (cleaned obviously) in the bottom of my smoker to hold the pellets. Then, just light one end and let it burn from one end to the other. It should function the same as the A-Maze-N smoker. I'm thinking I'll put a baking sheet on the bottom rack to shield any direct heat from the belly on the top rack. What say you? Think it'll work?

That should work but I think you could also start a small charcoal fire using the snake/fuse method in the fire box with a couple of chunks of wood for smoke.

You might try a small fire and close the pin wheels down so the fire will just barely burn without going out.

... What say you? Think it'll work?
My bet is that it won't work. The A-MAZE-N products surround the pellets with air inlets where the only air available with the channel will be at the top. Also a solid steel channel will suck a lot more heat out of the pellets that you want to be lit and smoking than the lightweight perforated metal will. So my prediction is that it will be impossible to keep the pellets lit and smoking.

My bet is that it won't work. The A-MAZE-N products surround the pellets with air inlets where the only air available with the channel will be at the top. Also a solid steel channel will suck a lot more heat out of the pellets that you want to be lit and smoking than the lightweight perforated metal will. So my prediction is that it will be impossible to keep the pellets lit and smoking.

^ +1

That is a great point. I believe you are correct sir. Thanks for the insight.

Back