Cooking for 18!!!!!

Av8er

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I need advice on how much to cook for a group of 18 people. It will be about 12 adults and 6 kids under the age of 10. I will be doing baby backs, a 6-7 lb pork loin, baked beans, tater salad, bbq bread, cake and ice cream. My daughter is turning 6 and wants daddy's cooking and a pool party!!! Kid has good taste for sure!! Now my question is, how many slabs of ribs? I just don't want to run out. But then again I am only working with a pit barrel cooker so size is an issue as well.

Thanks in advance.

Give your daughter a Weber Kettle as Early gift........then you got plent of room with it and PBC.

I do have a Weber kettle but have never smoked on it before. I would rather not screw it up for her birthday either.

Maybe I could just boil the ribs!!!:laugh::shocked:

Only kidding. I think I can fit 6 slabs and the loin in the PBC. Just need to order more hooks as I like to double hook.

6 racks sounds right.

I just cooked for 16 last weekend, and 27 the weekend before.

Just a little advice - plan your cooks well, prep well ahead of time, and allow yourself plenty of time to get things done. You can FTC the butt and ribs if they get done early (they will hold nicely), but you will see some frowns if they're done late.

Most important - Have fun! :-D

Last edited:
Great, thanks for yalls help. I just ordered more hooks so I should be good to go. The party
Is not until the 26th so I have plent of time to plan. That being said, it will be here before I know it.

Will do!! Also FTC!!! What's that mean? I assume hold in a cooler or something.

Use the Weber to grill couple packs of hot dogs.This IS a kid party,right? 1/2 rack each sounds pretty heavy for the adults. Assuming males,6...females,6....sides and other treats.I suggest 4 racks,and the loin for adults and hot dogs for the squirts.

Last edited:
6 racks sounds right to me, but I also agree on the hot dogs. They're the easiest kid pleaser around, and sometimes the kiddies don't want to wait for the smoked meats.

I am hoping I can fit everything in the PBC!!! This is going to push me to get a Shirley on order. Not that that will help me for the next 21 months. I have had a couple used Shirley offers but it's hard to get exactly what you want when buying used. Oh well, looking forward to this cook. It will be my first for a group larger than my family.

Last edited:
Back