drum lid question

motley que

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
ok, the drum is built (pics later). I fired up the basket with my weed burner and put the lid on . I noticed a fair amount of smoke coming out from around the lid, so i pushed the lid down on it real firm. the problem is that when it was to the temp i wanted, I had to take a hammer to it to lift the lid off. When its on its a real tight fit. should i just lay it on top or what suggestions do you have

there is a handle on the lid that didnt help raise it either

Rock Chalk JayHawk KU

Seems the heat disforms(word?) the drum. Mine was like that at first. Now with several cooks I have to be careful to get a good seal. Sometimes I put band on and use a vice grip to lock it down instead of bolt that came with it. Learned from Mista that there is no need to check mid cook. I just estimate end time and then open it up to check. Look back at post and read about temp spikes after opening it up.

I still get litttle whisps of smoke here and there around mine. I'll assume you have holes cut in the top of the lid for exhaust???
Just consider the little getting out around the edge as exhaust...
ModelMaker

Take a pair of pliers and just go aound the lid and bend the rim out a little. If you're cooking on it now its a quick fix, but when its cool you can do that and set it on the drum and tap it with a body hammer to get a better fit. That should do it! Worked for me.
Any pics?
Brian

thanks for the help. pics later tonight. i am also doing a turkey on my rotisserie

by the way, total set and forget... once i figured out the temp i wanted.

i have a webber lid i do not there is enough exhaust any help would be helpfull thinking of drilling holes in the lid to get more air flow on getting to 225 degrees max right any suggestion would be helpful and thanx in advance

kybirdman40004 said:
i have a webber lid i do not there is enough exhaust any help would be helpfull thinking of drilling holes in the lid to get more air flow on getting to 225 degrees max right any suggestion would be helpful and thanx in advance

No problems with the Weber lid whatsoever, I see no need to drill any more vent holes.

The airflow should come from the intake vent/vents on the bottom of the drum, whichever design you settled on.

Mine is smokin away right now. I used a grinder and ground about 1/16" off of the outside of the top ring on the drum. My Weber lid snaps right down and does not leak any smoke.

Have you fliped your lid?

kybirdman40004 said:

It sounds to me like either your air intake is not as big as it should be or you are not putting as much coals in it as it needs. Also make sure your intake is just below the fire grate.
Dave

Back