Pork Shoulder Steak - you must try!

Thanks, just a bit too thick, I like to pick them up with my hands,
chew them to the bone like a Lamb chop -
this one was a bit too thick for that - but I tried!
They have great taste.

I wonder if the pic show the 'Money Muscle' (?) (the round muscle,) and surely it shows the structure of muscles and bone. Pretty neat.

What temp did you take it to? Was it too chewy? This is going to be my next quick cook.

Very interesting. I am up for trying one. Did you just buy a whole shoulder and have them cut several slices or did you have them cut one slice off and smoke the rest for pulled pork? How hot and to what temp do you cook these like this?

I miss being able to pick up pork steaks like that. Growing up, they were what I always asked for, when I was asked what I wanted for a special occasion. Thin ones just aren't the same.

I had a pork steak at Snow's in TX and it is definitely one of the best things I have ever eaten in my life. I find 'em in the stores here once in a while and make them. They're fantastic - not as good as Snow's, but my family's never been there so they don't know. :heh:

Looks great!

OP HERE -
These are Pork Shoulder steaks,
a butcher grabs the meat in the correct direction, and slides it through his band saw - I would go 3/4" per steak next time.
He then passes the meat through the bandsaw until you say stop.
The shoulder has so many uses, like country ribs, sausage, none goes to waste.
They charge $.50 a lb more for cutting - I don't care!

We cook those at deer camp every year. We have a cinder block cooking pit and they cook up mighty fine! Doesn't hurt to have a little cold beer to wash em down. OK OK a lot of beer,after all it is 'Deer Camp' :biggrin1:

EHS5MW - that is the trick, these are not steaks, per se.
You need to finesse them, let them ooze,
depends on the thickness as well.
I would put them on hot, turn them, then maybe pull them to let the heat distribute.
Or not, your call. Then, back on, flipping.
I would 'char' the outside, no matter what.
My last name is not CHAR lton for nothing!!!! Thanks GrandPAW!

What temp did you take it to? Was it too chewy? This is going to be my next quick cook.
Not so quick of a cook...
I will say the best ones I had were thinner, and juicy, and I'd take 'em to 190 gently, they will be dripping...hour or more? Off the heat, you are dry heat cooking, not grilling, until the very end..

This is an extremely common way to eat pork shoulder in St. Louis . In fact for people that only grill and don't smoke it's the only way...cut thin as discussed above.. Common prep is to char them well on both sides, throw them in an aluminum pan with BBQ sauce thinned with a little beer, cover with foil and back on the grill to braise until fork tender.

Traditional sauce is Maulls but any of your favorite will do.

My local HEB sells these about 1/2 thick and we grilled indirectly. I pull when a toothpick slides in easily. This is a great meal when sitting in fish or deer camp. Usually cook around 300F.

Hey STl, the 1st vid I thought cooked 'em too fast. I like to let 'em rest to let the collagen melt, then throw them back on hot.
I'll look at patiodaddy now. Thanks for the links...

Back