THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitmaster T

Babbling Farker
KInda a recipe I have settled on. When I first came into this forum I was obsessed with the deep sour Angelos of Fort Worth sauce.

then over the years i got sweeter.

But now that my brisket is taking off and all the Mexican stuff I have been doing - I have settled on this sauce to compliment a Texas Brisket as it should.

So a while back Bob Brisket turned me on to a great way to have chili pepper puree on hand for recipes instead of the labor intensive process of seeding them, soaking, blending and straining is done on some other day than the day you intend to use them.

This journey through those Mexican backgrounds was discussed here in the Nailed and Settled - The Cytherea of Taco Juices and Bob Brisket
thread and specifically the chili pepper reserves are discussed by Bob here in BBq Liberation and Bob and the "Mexicoid" Brisket; post 42. and his original process is here.

So.. now the sauce, no name... and I can't call it Cytherea or Veronica Rodriguez.

2 C strained New Mexican Chili puree
1 C Ancho Chili Puree
10 oz Strong coffee

20170706_162427.jpg
Begin the simmer

Now the slurry. I make a slurry of the following ingredients to speed things up. In a 2 cup measure pour in:

1/4 C vinegar (any type)
1/4 C Worcestershire
4T Knorr Tomate/Chicken powder (a MUST)
2T Medium grain Black pepper
2 T of Chili Powder
1T Garlic Powder
1T Onion Powder
1T Mennuto Seasoning (or more)
1T Fajita Salts (I think typically this is salt, pepper, onion, garlic and lemon powders)
1T Mexican Oregano
a DUSTING of Cumin (be careful)

Mix this, add water to the 2 Cup MARK, stir again, then microwave 3 minutes... mix again and add to pot.

20170706_163030.jpg
Add 32 oz (4 cups) of ketchup
I add 2 cups of water at that point and mix

also I like to start tasting at this point.

I added 4 more tablespoons of Worcestershire
3 T of Valentina Hot Sauce (Its Mild)
3 T of Brown Sugar
and... shutter... kill me... 1T Liquid Smoke.

I then added I think as much as 2 or more cups of water (but wish I had Beer) ... I like it thin so it can seep into things.
20170706_165010.jpg

This, after the water, end of 6 quarts I think.

I wonder it an OLD TIMER can translate the instructions and ingredients to The Popdaddy Code?

Last edited:
I guess with a pot of sauce that big the liquid smoke barely comes into play.??

Does the acidity of the chili, coffee and ketchup kill the acrid taste of the LS? You think the beer would be better than water?

Sorry for all the questions but this really intrigues me.

I don't think I could find some of those ingredients around here.?

I guess with a pot of sauce that big the liquid smoke barely comes into play.??

Does the acidity of the chili, coffee and ketchup kill the acrid taste of the LS? You think the beer would be better than water?

Sorry for all the questions but this really intrigues me.

I don't think I could find some of those ingredients around here.?

I use LS because this gets canned and meat drippings won't do... I used to use meat drippings but typically the sauce is finished before the brisket is and now that I dust the briskest with turbinado sugar before they are wrapped in butcher paper and cooked, I end up messing up the sauce with the added salts and sugars in the drippings.

You can always do what I used to do when I objected to LS...smoke tomato paste until it all is deep umber then spoon that in to taste. Or... Smoke the sauce, or portion of it.

If you are careful... You noticed I used very little.. LS to s fine. Or... Don't use it at all.

I think I have written in there that I wished I used beer. That being said. I used to make sauces, then smoke... Then add beer to relevel what evaporated.

Must have ingredients are the knorr tomate, which is worth ordering. I am tempted to one day pour in some v8 as well once this is done. Angelos did that. The Mexican oregano is slightly different... I wonder at times if menutto seasoning is knorr tomate and chili powder together... Bob brisket should answer that.

Fajita seasoning I mentioned what that is... It's like Paula deen house seasoning with lemon flavor added. Heck, nix it and add salt, fine pepper, more onion powder, garlic powder and lemon pepper to replace but it's not a big deal. I have FS on hand...

I don't have them all, I think due to Pop Daddy taking things a little south of the border but it's a start.

KInda a recipe I have settled on. When I first came into this forum I was obsessed with the deep sour Angelos of Fort Worth sauce.

then over the years i got sweeter.

But now that my brisket is taking off and all the Mexican stuff I have been doing - I have settled on this sauce to compliment a Texas Brisket as it should.

So a while back Bob Brisket turned me on to a great way to have chili pepper puree on hand for recipes instead of the labor intensive process of seeding them, soaking, blending and straining is done on some other day than the day you intend to use them.

This journey through those Mexican backgrounds was discussed here in the Nailed and Settled - The Cytherea of Taco Juices and Bob Brisket
thread and specifically the chili pepper reserves are discussed by Bob here in BBq Liberation and Bob and the "Mexicoid" Brisket; post 42. and his original process is here.

So.. now the sauce, no name... and I can't call it Cytherea or Veronica Rodriguez.

2 C strained New Mexican Chili puree ?????
1 C Ancho Chili Puree ?????
10 oz Strong coffee ?????

View attachment 146068
Begin the simmer Philip Bailey

Now the slurry. I make a slurry of the following ingredients to speed things up. In a 2 cup measure pour in:

1/4 C vinegar (any type) Aretha Franklin (Cider Vinegar)
1/4 C Worcestershire Sir Duke
4T Knorr Tomate/Chicken powder (a MUST) Powdered The Family Stone (Tomato Paste)
2T Medium grain Black pepper Larry Graham
2 T of Chili Powder Carlos Santana
1T Garlic Powder Prince
1T Onion Powder Rick James
1T Mennuto Seasoning (or more) ?????
1T Fajita Salts (I think typically this is salt, pepper, onion, garlic and lemon powders) ?????
1T Mexican Oregano ?????
a DUSTING of Cumin (be careful) Chaka Kahn

Mix this, add water Billy Ocean to the 2 Cup MARK, stir again, then microwave 3 minutes... mix again and add to pot.

View attachment 146069
Add 32 oz (4 cups) of ketchup Sly Stone
I add 2 cups of water at that point and mix Billy Ocean

also I like to start tasting at this point.

I added 4 more tablespoons of Worcestershire Sir Duke
3 T of Valentina Hot Sauce (Its Mild) Bootsy Collins (Cayenne) Sauce
3 T of Brown Sugar James Brown
and... shutter... kill me... 1T Liquid Smoke. Liquid Smokey Robinson

I then added I think as much as 2 or more cups of water Billy Ocean (but wish I had Beer Billy D Williams) ... I like it thin so it can seep into things.
View attachment 146070

This, after the water, end of 6 quarts I think.

I wonder it an OLD TIMER can translate the instructions and ingredients to The Popdaddy Code?

when u put this on your tongue though.... it tastes like Eva Longoria,,, after she made hot sweaty lesbian love to Eva Mendes. Add that to my Italian herbs and spices and pepper puree concentrate and its like the did it in a bath while being sponged by Alissa Milano and Marissa Tomeii. so its better than hathaway

After that summation I'm going to respectfully bow-out of any suggestions for the naming of said substance....I do not think I could do it justice.

Get after it, brother. Nice to see you about again.

Hope to see you crushing the scene with crazy takes on ribs and tacos and menudo again.

Bring the music back, Donnie.

I feel less bothered now using Knorr Chicken and or Beef in my sauce exploits. Gonna have to add some Tomato to the pantry and experiment.

when u put this on your tongue though.... it tastes like Eva Longoria,,, after she made hot sweaty lesbian love to Eva Mendes. Add that to my Italian herbs and spices and pepper puree concentrate and its like the did it in a bath while being sponged by Alissa Milano and Marissa Tomeii. so its better than hathaway

After reading the above descritption, I totally forgot what the heii was even being discussed or made. But whatever it is, can you please send me some I'll gladly pay. I can't even think straight right now, you dun gone and jacked my morning all up!

Back