Some questions for M1 owners

Smokinhole

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm two weeks away from my M1 being delivered and I have some questions for those who already own one. First, I saw a picture on this site of how the crate it's delivered in looks. Can someone tell me if the casters are attached when you get the pit? Im also wondering if anyone has a better method for ash collection under coal grate for the grill. Maybe some kind of aluminum pan sitting on top of the deflector plate? Any other tips or advice on this pit are greatly appreciated.

I've been considering one of these as well, and the ash clean up is one of the reasons why I've been hesitant; a giant roll of tinfoil might be the ticket; I've been on the fence between this and Assassin 48" Grill; for the M1 I would just consider foil as part of the ritual of cooking; enjoy your new cooker!

Just buy a couple spam cans of HXP ball, a GI sling, and you're good to go!

Oops, wrong forum...
:grin:

Yes the casters were attached on mine. The crating was really nice and I just rolled it out.

I don't use my M1 to grill so have not used the charcoal grate except to hold an aluminum pan to catch drippings. I suppose you could use the pan to catch ash but some might fall around the edges.

Anyway post some pics when you get yours :thumb: I just used mine last weekend for some beef back ribs, love the M1.

Thanks KORND4G X for the reply. I figure I'll measure what will fit under the charcoal grate and then have the welding class at the local college cobble me up something. I'm also wondering what to put under the whole unit to catch embers when you slide out the basket in the firebox. Probably not much need for that when coals are hot, but if someone could find some dumb way to need to, it'll be me....

About that :icon_shy Besides a grill mat I have some kind of aluminum baking sheet i found in our kitchen that is the perfect width when I slide out the firebox. Works pretty well for to catch little pieces when I load the charcoal.

Anyway I guess you'll have the new model so looking forward to pics :thumb:

Lol some kind of baking sheet I hijacked would get me in big trouble and would likely Stop the flow of ruthlessly yummy chocolate chip cookies that float down from heaven. I'll just wait until M1 gets here and have boys at the college's welding school fabricate me some kind of Frankensolution. That's half the fun of a new pit.

We are working on stainless steel ash pans for the main cooking chamber along with the stainless firebox pan. All of these are going to be accessories for the M1 that you can purchase on mgrills.com very soon.

As a matter of fact, we are cutting the stainless ash pans today on our water jet and will start bending asap.

Back