MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-01-2017, 04:02 PM   #1
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Default Spanish Oak?

Does anyone have experience smoking with Spanish Oak? My cousin in Texas sells it. I'm just wondering how it compares to post oak.

Old 07-01-2017, 04:12 PM   #2
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

There are a zillion varieties of oaks. Not sure what a Spanish Oak is. Must be from a different part of Texas than where I am. In my area, there is white oak, red oak, etc. Post oak comes from areas to the west of me. So..... people cook with what is available in their area. I can get hickory, pecan and mesquite also but I pretty much stay with oak because of its abundance and price. I have a 1/4 cord of post oak seasoning right now. Currently using red oak. Spanish oak is likely a wood that would work fine but no one talks about it in the Houston area.
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #3
EdF
is One Chatty Farker

Looks like a member of the red oak family.

And their helpers.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-01-2017, 04:48 PM   #4
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springram View Post
There are a zillion varieties of oaks. Not sure what a Spanish Oak is. Must be from a different part of Texas than where I am. In my area, there is white oak, red oak, etc. Post oak comes from areas to the west of me. So..... people cook with what is available in their area. I can get hickory, pecan and mesquite also but I pretty much stay with oak because of its abundance and price. I have a 1/4 cord of post oak seasoning right now. Currently using red oak. Spanish oak is likely a wood that would work fine but no one talks about it in the Houston area.
My cousin lives in Sabinal, West of San Antonio.