Blackstone 36": rust on the griddle

Sundance

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am building an outdoor kitchen and would like to sink my 36" Blackstone flat surface grill into the countertop. However, I am concerned the cast iron cooking plate will rust being outside. Does anyone know a good method of conditioning the cast iron to prevent rust? Or, is there an easy way to remove it before using?

Last edited:
season really good with Flax oil. (at least 5 layers) Then cook bacon!!
A good season, and a light coat after oil after a cook should be good. There is a guy on FB Group Blackstone griddle owners, that has a steel cover he makes and sells.

season really good with Flax oil. (at least 5 layers) Then cook bacon!!
A good season, and a light coat after oil after a cook should be good. There is a guy on FB Group Blackstone griddle owners, that has a steel cover he makes and sells.

Thank you - the cover sounds great. I'll check it out!

You're deffinately going to need some type of cover since it's just plain cold rolled steel, not cast, and no amount of seasoning will make it rust proof. But with proper seasoning and a good cover, i have a steel cover on mine then the Blackstone cover, i get very minimal rusting of the cooking surface even when it sits for months unused. I used Flax seed oil on mine also.

You're deffinately going to need some type of cover since it's just plain cold rolled steel, not cast, and no amount of seasoning will make it rust proof. But with proper seasoning and a good cover, i have a steel cover on mine then the Blackstone cover, i get very minimal rusting of the cooking surface even when it sits for months unused. I used Flax seed oil on mine also.

Where did you get your cover? All I have is the canvas carrying bag

Where did you get your cover? All I have is the canvas carrying bag

Made it myself out of some galvanized sheet metal i had kicking around. Cut it to fit with about 1" over hang on the sides and simply bent them to 90°. Before that the griddle always got wet even with the cover so now it stays relatively dry. You can even do the same basic thing out of wood.

Back